larger motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadian omc

Reaction score
Basically I'm thinking of taking a '80 40 hp. Merc. off my 14' Lund and [-o< putting on an '89 Johnson 70 hp. , hull is rated to 55 hp. and it has remote steering. Reasons for wanting to try this are with the 40 it seems to be under powered with two people ,power trim ,I already have the motor and I'd like to get out of trouble faster than I get into it :LOL2:I was wondering if anyone has tried something like this and if it's feasible. Thanks in advance

this gets debated over and over and over and over
some say it isn't safe some say it is
some places it is illegal to do some places don't care
most insurances will not cover you if you over power the boat
if you plan on fishing tournaments most have rules against over powered boats

Thank you REDBUG. I'm just wondering about weight ,as far as over powering I was thinking about putting a governor on the throttle assembly.Folks around here do this alot or so it seem.My biggest concern is damage from trailering and in the water. BTW yes I do use a transom saver while trailering. Thanks again for alland any advice , cheers.

You sure it rated that high? A bud of mine has a 14' Lund and I think it's rated for a 20. He's got a 25 on it and it will fly, can't imagine a 70 hp.

Three cylinder Johnsons and Evinrudes were put on 13' Allison hulls weighing around the 250# range.
Nobody can really answer that question but you as far as safety goes. You are the one with the throttle in your hand after all.
You are also the one that knows the condition of the transom.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339451#p339451 said:
Pappy » Yesterday, 10:45[/url]"]Three cylinder Johnsons and Evinrudes were put on 13' Allison hulls weighing around the 250# range.
Nobody can really answer that question but you as far as safety goes. You are the one with the throttle in your hand after all.
You are also the one that knows the condition of the transom.

I agree, but ya gotta admit, it would be one hell of a ride !! :shock: :LOL2:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Charger25 ,yes it's rated up to 55hp. the transom is solid ,little to no flex with the 40 Merc. on it , so I figure I'll give it a go. I'm guessing with the side console the weight distribution allows for the increase in hp. Well with that said here's hoping a few extra wont hurt [-o< :mrgreen: Thanks again guys

The 50hp 3 cylinder Johnson Evinrude built in the mid/late 90s makes a good swap onto a 50hp boat. The upgrade to 70 hp is easy with a set of carbs. The model and serial number are what authorities go by. That says 50hp.
As far as actual safety goes, driver experience, judgement, and seat time factor more than HP.
I did this set-up with a 1964 14ft Crestliner aluminum runabout. It was a 2000 70hp Johnson. The boat ran a best of 52mph and would do 47-48 anytime with me and my wife. There was never a problem until one day I rolled into the wake of a boat I was following upriver. I gave it a little gas and the boat tipped right up onto the port gunwale. Some of the river joined us that day; poured right in. Thought we were going over. Scared the stuffin' out of both of us. I am a lot more careful in overpowered boats.

Here's a guy that posts a bunch on THT. A 13'er with a yami 130 v4.

He broke 90mph in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs13AmvP4hQ

Talks about getting real close to 100 soon.

Latest posts