Leaving a portable fuel tank in the boat or not.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOY BOAT

Reaction score
I have a brand new Foam filled metal tank. Is it ok to leave it in the boat exposed to the sun? I have the fuel line conected to the motor, but the vent slightly cracked to avoid any pressure build up when it is hot. Or should I just remove it, and put it in my shed when not in use? The shed gets pretty hot inside too. My old plastic tanks would blow up like footballs even in the shed. Should the vent be cracked or just closed when not in use to keep moisture out?

I did try a search, but if this has been covered, I may not have had the right key words.

I keep my plastic tank in the boat but I do run the motor every two to three weeks. IMO, it is a good idea to open the vent on it every so often, especially in the hot weather.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to continue to remove the tank from the boat when not in use, as it would be exposed to the sun light on the boat. I assume the vent needs to be kept closed when not in use to keep moisture out.