Let's build the "perfect" boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
lol, I'm bored :mrgreen: ....here's the deal....

Starting out with a new 16' jon, we'll say 48" at the floor. The floor is 100% open, and there are no seats to contend with. Trailer came with the boat, so it's mobile, boat is "virgin", bone-stock, no additions, options, or mods.

Let's keep this to what an Average Joe can afford, no mega-high-dollar parts or mods, just something to make a nicely-rigged fishing boat for medium lakes & reserviors. Gas motor allowed. Try & keep total of your 5 mods under $1500 (just guess, it's not that critical).

I know everyone may not want a 16'er, or a Jon, or whatever, but I just made it that for simplicity sake.

You get to pick 10 mods/additions you would do to it. Feel free to repeate something someone else has mentioned if it would have initially been in your pick of 10, that way we can see what the most common/desired mods/additions would be.

Saftey equipment is a "given", so don't include vests, or nav lights, or anything else you're required to have.

#1-Deck & Carpet Floor

#2-2 Comfortable Pedestal Seats

#3-Good Used 15 HP Tiller motor with 9.9 decals :wink: (and normal maitenance on it prior to running)

#4-Trolling Motor (probably tiller on the transom)

#5- Set of Stainless AnchorMates

#6-Pair of #16 River Anchors

#7-2-12v Power Outlets (1 on each end of boat)

#8- Ability (and room) to carry a total of 3 batteries. 1-Starting, 1-Trolling, and 1-extras (12vdc plugs, FF, interior lights, doubles as spare for TM

#9- Rod Holders on Boards On Each Side of the Hull

#10- Last Would Probably be a Livewell/Baitwell (even if made form a large cooler)

lol, it's tougher than I thought narrowing it to just 10. Granted there's lots of other items that could be added. Maybe once this runs it's course, we can do #'s 10-20 :wink:

ST

Edited: On outboard HP, reduced from 20 HP.

Tell me what the boat is primarily going to be used for? I made mine very efficient for lots of types of fishing, but then again, I went about 1500 over your limit (provided hull and trailer aren't included in your 1500 price. I spent probably 4k including hull and trailer).

I would do things very differently were I making a bass boat, striper boat, crappie boat etc. Give me the requirements.

DD- lol, You must be more bored than me :mrgreen: Yes, it has 3 batteries.

BB-The boat can be designed for whatever you choose, but if you add something specific, you might include why, just to make it clear to us. :wink: This is basically a "generic" fishing boat, and the cost of boat & trailer isn't included in the $1500 mod expenses.

ST

My choice of engine is a little different.I mainly fish smaller lakes.

1-Used 15HP tiller outboard-plentiful and cheap around my area

2-A used 55lbs transom mount trolling motor-I like mine mounted on the right side at the bow.I fish from the left side of my boat usually.

3-Casting deck with carpet with storage.

4-2 deep cycle batteries

5-2 fold down pedestal seats

6-2 danforth anchors

7-cooler style live well

8-rod locker

9-2 power outlets-front and rear

10-rod holders

I really don't think I could add much more even if money was no object.I like plain and simple.Less mess to cause an accident.

Probably right on the motor, so I edited my post. I'm not used to fishing the 10 HP limit lakes. I'm either on TM only, or "run what ya brung".

ST

My mods would be:
1) To fall under the budget, wood is likely the only option. I would put a lower deck in the middle, then raised decks on the bow and stern. 200 should cover the wood, sealer, hinges, fasteners etc for deck and storage boxes. Shape of deck would include rod box, and would be similar to my boats layout.

2) Since the 15 horse motor is in your top ten, not the given, I would go with a good used 70s model Johson/Evinrude 25 - 40 tiller unless the owner lived near 10 horse restricted lakes.. Maybe newer, if the right deal is found (I see them from time to time. I would allot 500 for something like this, provided you can do the work yourself.

3) Cabelas swivel seats - 50 bucks a piece, as well as pins and bases. Say 200 for all.

4) Bow mount, foot control 55 pound thrust trolling motor. I am almost certain that lightly used ones can be had for less than 250, probably less, but we will say 250.

5) Bow and stern sonars. Eagle fishmark 320s or 480s. I know these can be had for less than 100 each used, so 200 there.

6) Cooler livewell for small water tourneys. Less than 100 overall.

For a bass rig that is all that really comes to mind as far as big things go. I would definitely change my ideas if it were a striper boat, flats boat, crappie boat etc.

SlimeTime said:
Probably right on the motor, so I edited my post. I'm not used to fishing the 10 HP limit lakes. I'm either on TM only, or "run what ya brung".

ST

I have a lot of 10HP or less lakes around.They're so small that people end up making each other mad fishing on top of each other.So I stay on 15HP and up larger lakes.My favorite lake has a 15HP limit, so 15HP is a good compromise.

bassboy1 said:
My mods would be:
1) To fall under the budget, wood is likely the only option. I would put a lower deck in the middle, then raised decks on the bow and stern. 200 should cover the wood, sealer, hinges, fasteners etc for deck and storage boxes. Shape of deck would include rod box, and would be similar to my boats layout.

2) Since the 15 horse motor is in your top ten, not the given, I would go with a good used 70s model Johson/Evinrude 25 - 40 tiller unless the owner lived near 10 horse restricted lakes.. Maybe newer, if the right deal is found (I see them from time to time. I would allot 500 for something like this, provided you can do the work yourself.

3) Cabelas swivel seats - 50 bucks a piece, as well as pins and bases. Say 200 for all.

4) Bow mount, foot control 55 pound thrust trolling motor. I am almost certain that lightly used ones can be had for less than 250, probably less, but we will say 250.

5) Bow and stern sonars. Eagle fishmark 320s or 480s. I know these can be had for less than 100 each used, so 200 there.

6) Cooler livewell for small water tourneys. Less than 100 overall.

For a bass rig that is all that really comes to mind as far as big things go. I would definitely change my ideas if it were a striper boat, flats boat, crappie boat etc.

I was considering fish finders and sonar as tackle.A lot of people move them from boat to boat or use portable units.That's why I didn't include that in my list.

Latest posts