Lets see your anchor systems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody ever think about trying to rig up a cheap manual trailer winch as a way to quickly drop and wind up a small anchor? The price on the electric winches are unbelievable. Also check out this cool video of a homemade electric power pole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZOwRFn1kyE&feature=related

richg99 said:
I don't call this one "cheap"...but....
https://www.basspro.com/Worth-Original-Anchormate%C2%AE/product/813/-269122

I think I could make something similar to that for a lot less out of an old trailer winch like this https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Winch.aspx.

I thought maybe somebody tried to adapt the winch wheel to do the same thing as that anchormate. For $75, I will just pull the anchor out of the water. :shock:

I have an unused new trailer winch sitting in my garage. I just don't use an anchor often enough to want to bother with anything other than just pulling it up the old fashioned way. regards, Rich

i have a scotty anchor lock, but no reel system yet. thinking of using a trailer winch for that as well. seems silly to pay $75 for s simple winch!
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10212468_225014003_225000000_225014000?hvarAID=shopping_googlebase&om_mmc=shopping_googlebase

franner11 said:
i have a scotty anchor lock, but no reel system yet. thinking of using a trailer winch for that as well. seems silly to pay $75 for s simple winch!
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10212468_225014003_225000000_225014000?hvarAID=shopping_googlebase&om_mmc=shopping_googlebase

How sturdy is that scotty anchor? The pic on bass pros looks like it is plastic.

I was going to look into the trailer winch as well but the gear ration stinks on them.....you'll be cranking and cranking...has anyone else done this.

jellio5 said:
I was going to look into the trailer winch as well but the gear ration stinks on them.....you'll be cranking and cranking...has anyone else done this.
that's what i was thinking... it would take forever to reel in any kind of length.

As for any kind of manual handle winch, even if the pick up was say 1 foot per turn, that is still a lot of turns for even 15 ft. It would be quicker to pull it up by hand.

I think I like the idea of a small atv winch is better. I seen some online for only $50. You could probably replace the steel cable with nylon rope. It would probably last longer than the minn kota comparable too for twice the price. Some even come with a remote or one could be added.

I never tried this...but....I believe that you can increase the apparent speed of recovery on any winch by make the center core larger. Just think about it...and compare it to your fishing reel when it is full of line, or near the bottom.

Since your anchor rope might only be 30 feet or so, building up the center core of the winch with a couple of blocks of wood taped on...would bring the rope in quicker. How much, I can't judge...but....if you already own one....it wouldn't take long to find out. regards, Rich

richg99 said:
I never tried this...but....I believe that you can increase the apparent speed of recovery on any winch by make the center core larger. Just think about it...and compare it to your fishing reel when it is full of line, or near the bottom.

Since your anchor rope might only be 30 feet or so, building up the center core of the winch with a couple of blocks of wood taped on...would bring the rope in quicker. How much, I can't judge...but....if you already own one....it wouldn't take long to find out. regards, Rich

Circumference of a circle is 2 x 3.14 x radius. By my math, a 4 inch spool would give you a little more than a foot of pick up per turn. Back to my point, would you really want to turn a handle 15 times for 15 feet. If you make the spool bigger, it seems like you might reach a point that is too big and clunky. The winch would need to be geared like your reel where you get 5-7 turns per handle turn. If I am not mistaken, the trailer winch is geared sort of in the opposite way. The handle is connected to a smaller gear which engages the larger spool gear.

Good math....yes, makes sense... a trailer winch is geared to pull large loads.. short distances. An anchor winch would be the opposite...small loads.. long distances.

I rarely use an anchor. I love to set up a drift and spray cast as the boat moves along. I use a drift chute to slow things down. I've heard of some guys using a five gallon paint bucket..with holes added....to do something similar.

Rich

I may have a solution to the anchor delema it seems many small boat users like myself are having. I've been racking my brain to figure something out for my own boat the last couple of days. I want my anchor on the bow of my boat so I've been trying to figure out a system for my 14' semi-v where I can operate it from the back of the boat without having to move. This system might work I have all the parts I just have to wait for the rain to go away so I can install it...once installed and funtional I will post pics. So far I have a total of $22.00 plus tax to in parts which I got from Menards.

Until it's installed and working I'll keep you all in suspense....if it's a failure I'll still post of my attempt...I think it should work though I just can't bring myself to spend $80-$100 on a manual anchor winch. As said before a boat winch just isn't practical and any winch under $100 will move about 6 feet in a minute and the weight of the winch isn't practical.

#-o #-o #-o #-o

Crude complete failure would be a fair assesment of todays attempt but I gave it the old college try at least. Although I have to say with a deeper boat and a metal one of these it probably would have worked. Maybe someone can make this work....they sell a heavy duty plastic extension cord deal that winds up heavy extension cords it was $9 at Menards. I did get an anchor system but it did not follow my original plan at all. I picked up a roller type anchor lock deal from Walmart for $5.00 and had to do some work to get it to fit on the front of the boat and work the way I wanted it to. I then installed 6 5/16" eye bolts with big fender washers from the front of the boat back to where I sit. I also bought a carabiner and 50' feet of new rope which will be plenty since I rarely fish in water over 20' deep or more.

As much as I hate it until I find a better system I had to install one of my boat winch's to pull the anchor. About the only bright spot is that with the eye bolts I put on allows me to pull up and let down my anchor from the back of the boat by hand which is what I wanted to do originally anyway. I have a feeling the winch will be mainly for rope storage. I also put a cleat about a foot in front of the winch so I can let the anchor down and put the rope in the cleat and then wind it up when I get a chance.

Here's a picture of the holder. In my original plan I was going to load it with some rope or something to make the spool bigger which means less turns to get the anchor up. If someone could find a metal one of these I'm sure it would work.

34270.jpg

Well off to Menards for the 3rd time today for some more small stuff.....hopefully I won't have to go back anytime soon.

Thanks for giving it the ol' college try. No one learns anything if they are afraid to try and fail. Every good idea I ever had was preceded by two or more failures.

You are in good company since Edison said he "found 10,000 things that didn't work" when inventing the light bulb filament. Keep trying. regards, Rich

What about some of the air hose reels? I know my work has some that are metal and fairly compact, and I would think they would be up to the task.