Line age & size (Keeping Track)?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoman

Reaction score
Just wondering how or if everyone keeps track as to how old and the size and type of line you have on your reels? I don't have that many (maybe 12) to keep track of , but it would be nice to have a easy way to keep track of them.

I just inspect the line before I use it. I have about 10 set ups for shark / Tuna and another 12 or so for inshore fishing. That line gets the most wear and tear from sunlight and salt water - I usually will pull 10 yards or so and see it it has any weak points before I use the line. I change miono line once a year on this rigs and braid I reverse and change as needed.

For fresh water, I use braid so it really never goes bad. I will reverse the line once it starts to fade or if it frays

I created a simple Excel Spreadsheet which lists the Reel, Line Manufacture, Lb Test and the date I spooled the Reel.

I chang my line about 3 times a year. I always use Trilene or Stren. I only change my line once in the summer then usually Fall Ill change and then mid winter i change again to a heavier line because of the bitter cold weather that we walleye and muskie fish in. A few days in a row of10 degree weather will beat your line up all by it self and then the rocks and other structures dont help the line to much either!

I put a small piece of adhesive tape in the under side of my spool. Of course mine are spinning rods and the tape is protected from the elements and other abuse.

Latest posts