Livewell cooling system

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispy186

Reaction score
So I was thinking about adding a cooling system to my livewell. All the ones I have seen run throught the recirc pump. I usually run my livewell with the intake pump bringing in fresh water and only use the recirc when the boat is on the trailer. So my question is, if I install one of these, would I only use the intake pump to change water a couple times a day, and use the recirc pump the rest of the time ?

This is interesting. I've never seen a cooling system for the live well. We just use ice. Might have to check this out.

using ice is a bad idea it adds chlorine to the water that will stress the fish Now adding frozen water bottles isn't a bad idea
I have also seen guys that have taking distilled water added rejuvenate to the water then freeze it in a bottle and as it melts it adds that to the water
Keeping the water cool helps keep the o2 level up but you still need to add fresh water to get rid of the ammonia that will kill the fish in a hurry
for what your looking for I would hook the cooling line to the recurt. pump and then change the water every 2 hours or so.
my guess is that you plan on running the tube (copper) through a cooler full of ice this will do the trick or if you can find an old small trans cooler to place in the cooler that may do a better job good luck

What is going in that you want this cooling system? Livewell water getting too warm, not enough oxygen bring generated from aerator, both?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337368#p337368 said:
DrNip » 30 minutes ago[/url]"]What is going in that you want this cooling system? Livewell water getting too warm, not enough oxygen bring generated from aerator, both?
Its only for summer time tournaments really, when the water gets hot. I mean, the water here doesnt get texas hot but it does get into the upper 80's, even the low 90's sometimes in the summer.

Latest posts