Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TexasLoneStar56 said:
Vin Tin,

I can't thank you enough! I tip my hat to you, sir! :USA1: Fantastic pics!

I saw that other LS in the background. :D So, when are you starting a restore?

One of my fav sayings, "I'm like the fat kid in the candy store"; when it comes to vintage boats and motors. Most ladies want to shop for heels; I want to shop for vintage boat parts. :LOL2:

Thank you again! I have saved the pics for references.
M
Tyler, Texas

Glad to help with the photos.

The Lonestar Cruisemaster won't be until next year or so.

So How long does the monsoon season last down there?
:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

We are wondering that ourselves! Tyler, Texas is 8+ inches above average, for this year. :shock:
No complaints [-X ......California is drying up. :cry:

We did have a gorgeous day yesterday. Had to replace bunks on our pontoon boat trailer, and do a few things to the boat itself. Listed it for sale Monday night; she sold at 9:00 yesterday morning, to the first couple that looked at her. Sad, but glad.

Now.....back on the Fifty-Six! Going to buy spar verithane(sp) today to coat the transom wood. It's raining, AGAIN, so not sure if I can get any work done on her or not.

:-({|= Yea, yea, I know.....
But if you've seen any kind of weather reports, Texas has had some terrible rain storms. Sun is out today so perhaps I can get the steering wheel primed.

I am soooo ready to just put it back together and just play with her for the summer. I am about to say to heck with the paint, but I know I will regret that.

Got the steering wheel primed! It aint purdy, but it'll do. Have it sanded and ready for paint.

Took the hubby with me today to make sure I bought the right kind of rivets. Guess I better get that spar urethane on the transom wood and get it ready to set in so we can buck rivet the z-bar back in.

Just a small note:
Calling for rain, rain and more rain, for the next 4 days. My Goodness sakes! Hard to paint, urethane, primer with this high humidity. Just sayin........ ](*,)

Ok guys......epoxy glue for the transom. Need to glue 2 pieces of plywood together. #-o Help!

What kind? Brand?

Any and all comments welcome!

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Ok guys......epoxy glue for the transom. Need to glue 2 pieces of plywood together. #-o Help!

What kind? Brand?

Any and all comments welcome!

A lot of the professional boatbuilding folks use West System epoxies, both for building and for laying up of glass over molds, hulls, etc. But you may not need to go that route. Gorilla Glue (the brown stuff that almost looks like honey) will create a very water tight bond if used correctly. Heck, it will probably be stronger then the glue in the plywood itself. The key thing is to wet the wood surfaces first - don't soak them but make sure they are visibly and evenly wet. This will draw the glue into the wood surface. Then spread a thin even film across the surface of one piece and place the other. Clamp the snot out of it, and make sure you have a wet rag around to wipe up the glue that squeezes out around the edge. If there is not much squeeze out you can wait till it dries and then cut it off with a sharp utility knife.

Good Luck!

Then spread a thin even film across the surface of one piece and place the other

Thin film....Gorilla glue expands. No really, THIN.

Nice work, as usual. =D>

Oh, somewhere in your thread you talked about leaving the aluminum shiny. There's a product named "Sharkhide," I believe, which is a transparent coating for just such a use.

I believe it is expensive, comparatively, and I don't know much about it, and its longevity. Might be worth a look.

You come a long way, pilgrim.

:)

Many, many thanks to both of you! I truly appreciate it.

I know glass would be best, but a glass gal I am not. The hubby? Nope, he won't do it for me. Still keeps telling me she is my money pit and won't help at all with anything now. :roll: Oh well, I'll keep plugging along.

Gorilla Glue! See, I never thought of that. I have used it on other applications so I know how it expands. Thank You! :D

Kis, you've been in on this since I started it last summer. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. :wink:

After talking to a good friend that is an auto painter, and has been for 35 years, he told me if I will prep it he will shoot it with paint. With all this rain, rain and more rain, I can't get the etching primer on the inside for him to shoot it. He is also going to shoot the bottom and the top with paint. It's just too hot leaving it shiny aluminum on the top.

I've chosen the colors; Rustoleum Seaside and white. Kind of a turquoise color of the time. I want to leave the middle shiny aluminum, but we'll see what it looks like. Might shoot it white as well. :-k

Thank you again! Raining again, so I'll see about getting these two pieces glued together today.

M

Shiny is purty. Anybody can paint, but jeez...SHINY !!!. Lord knows it distracts most men from the tasks at hand. :)

So, I did a search on line:
Here, from Sharkhide company owner responding to a post 2009:
HONDAM;2176919 said:
I have used Sharkhide on several aluminum boats. It does what it supposed to do very well.

The only problem with it is that it is an item that needs to be maintained. You must use the correct sharkhide cleaning solutions when cleaning it because it rubs off fairly easily, so much that it needs to be replaced every few years. Unfortunately i learned this the hard way by trying to polish a boat and polishing the sharkhide right off.

Hi there HONDAM,
Nice looking boat! Do you keep it in IL? If so, I bet you don't find many like yours roaming around.
Thanks a bunch for sharing your opinion about Sharkhide Metal Protectant. I rely heavily on word of mouth.
I did notice something you said about "needs to be maintained" and "correct sharkhide cleaning solutions". You're absolutely correct to a point. But I'd like to clarify what that entails. The only "maintainence" required is to re seal any areas you might have scraped, rubed or scratch off, and to re coat after every few years of use. As far as special cleaners, I suggest staying away from all of them. I recomend just wiping the boat down with a wet towel when you load it, or if you do need to scrub the hull, just use a hot soapy solution just like you do on your car. Thats it.
I hope info this helps taking care of your hull.
Clint
HONDAM;2176919 said:
and here's a response from a 2013 guy: Since this was originally posted I have used sharkhide on two trailers. It kept them from graying out and kept them shiny. I only use water to clean them. Stuck dirt I remove with a wet dripping rag. The first app was in 07 and it lasted till I sold t he boat in late 2010. I have no idea if it's still effective as I no longer owen the boat.

My new trailer has one app of Sharkhide and is still shiny since December. I need to apply another coat as soon as it stop raining where the trailer's at.

Follow the instructions Clean the trailer with soap. Rinse off soap, Wait till it dries, Apply the Sharkhide. Let it dry. I never did any of the other stuff they recommend. Woprks ok without it.

I have absolute no interest, vested or otherwise, in the company.

but shiny is purty.

Oh Wow! Sounds like a good product. I've seen some stuff used on old airstream trailers that makes them purdy! Have no idea what it is though. I love it shiny, it's just so hot. I found that out last August when I was under the bow sanding. OMGoodness! I thought I was in Reynolds Wrap, at about 400*! :shock:

Shame on you Kis! You are making me want to leave her shiny! :mrgreen:

The hubby told me they used a product on semi truck fuel tanks to make them shiny, but it's $$$. I do have a small amount, some of which I put on the very front of the bow last summer. It is still shiny. I'll check in to the shark stuff. You've spiked my curiosity. :-k

Didn't get the glue done today. Man, it is so humid from all the rain. I might just have to bring it in the house so it is under climate control.

I did get her dashes cut out though.....with a little help from the hubby. Yes, he helped me....reluctantly but he did. The first cut I did, I messed around and let the board fall off on my forearm, all while holding the circular saw with the other hand. I hate that saw, but it is what it is and glad we have one. The good news: both dashes are cut out and ready to sand an urethane, AND, no broke fingernails! =D> Arm is sore, skint and bruised but nothing a little time won't heal. :) All in a good days work!

Thanks again for the info! :D
M

M
Sounds like Your making progress.
Be careful about taking projects into the house.
It's been My experience that Spouses don't usually like that!
LOL
Good luck with the transom.

Steve A W

Steve A W said:
M
Sounds like Your making progress.
Be careful about taking projects into the house.
It's been My experience that Spouses don't usually like that!
LOL
Good luck with the transom.

Steve A W

Too Late! After the down pour stopped this morning, I brought both dashes in. Got them stained, wiped down and leaned up to dry over night. Will sand a bit in the morning and start the urethane process.

The Spouse knows not to say too much about it. [-X Just sayin'........ :LOL2:

M

"Let the sunshine in, the sun, shine in"! 8)

Got the transom glued today! (With a little coaching and help from the hubby.) Plus, he loaned me several sets of his clamps, and clamped them for me. So, it has been sitting all day clamped, and will leave it overnight. Will take the clamps off tomorrow, bring it in the house as well, and urethane. (climate control with this humid weather)

Have stained and got one coat of spar uretane on the dashes. Sanded them this morning and ready for a second coat. (Yes, in the house!) Sometimes, ya just gotta do what ya gotta do!

I have the greatest son-in-law in the world! He brought me wood to do the seats with today! :beer:

So......is she getting painted, or not!???! :?: Probably not right now. I just want to play with her and take our grand kids out on her! And, of course, our uncle that gave her to us 20 years ago. :wink:

Pics soon......
M

PS: Living on the lake is a true blessing. Truly it is. It is also a humongous load of work to keep it looking nice. With all the rain we've had, I have not been able to get in the lake and rake the swimming area, until today. 8) As with all the rain, and May being cotton mouth mating season, we have killed 6 in the last 5 days. The last one, I took out about 3pm this afternoon. I love that 20 guage! Choot 'em! :LOL2:

What a blue ribbon thread,boat, and parties involved.
Your sweat equity is paying off with a gem of a craft.
I as with others enjoy following your progress,(psheew/work) and can relate to the great feeling of getting an old motor fired up (from your other thread). If attitude is every thing, you win!
Great project.

WaterWaif said:
What a blue ribbon thread,boat, and parties involved.
Your sweat equity is paying off with a gem of a craft.
I as with others enjoy following your progress,(psheew/work) and can relate to the great feeling of getting an old motor fired up (from your other thread). If attitude is every thing, you win!
Great project.

Thank you, Sir. That is very kind of you. I'm glad you are enjoying the thread. :D
I will post a few more pics later on today.

Stay tuned! 8)
M