Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kismet said:
er....

Shiny is purty.

justsayin'

:mrgreen:

Dog gone you Kis! Dad-nab-it! Well I de clair! :LOL22:

The hubby's buffer is air. Our little pancake compressor won't carry that load. I want an electric one. Guess that will be my next tool. :mrgreen:

I tried a little of the powerful stuff on the back corner of the transom the other day. Used an old sock to rub, and rub, and rub some more. Still can't get all the black off. I have got to get a buffer with a wool pad. THEN, she will be "purty"; "purdy"!

(BTW: Hubby says that stuff is a type of rouge. He told me I didn't have enough elbow grease to buff it like it should be. He's right!) :?

I did look up the Sharkhide and read about it. I thought it funny that they advertise for cloth baby diapers. :LOL2: I've known that for years!!!! Used all of our girls up already though. Guess I need to buy some more. Who would have thought I'd be buying cloth baby diapers when our baby is 28 years old! :lol:

M

"I've got sunshine, on a cloudy day...."

A few pics taken this morning. YES, in the house! It's raining again. :x
(Sorry about the glare.)
The stain I used is a med oak. I like that color, a lot. It really made the wood grain stand out. I've got two coats of urethane on the dashes. I will see what they look like with 3 or 4 coats, maybe more. Shiny is purty!

The transom is glued, sanded and ready for stain on the front side. No need to stain the back side. In fact, I have already applied the first coat of urethane to the back.

Come on by......my kitchen has the aroma of the fumes of spar urethane! No Smoking! 8-[

M

(yes, I have the kitchen window open......otherwise, I would be passed out instead of reporting the progress) :-s
dashes 5.21.2015a.jpgdashes 5.21.2015.jpgtransom 5.21.2015.jpg

Thank you Huntinfool. :)

I managed to get the stain on that side Friday afternoon, and then applied a coat of uretane today, before all the storms hit, again.

This rain is totally unbelievable! Our dock is almost under water. How's it down your way? Prayers for those still missing from the flash floods yesterday at Wimbly. [-o< I know that's real close to you.

I'm getting there......one layer at a time, in the house. 8)

M

PS: If you get a chance, pull up Lake Texoma. Water is rushing over the spillway. Man, that's a huge lake! If that dam breaks, folks will be flooded all the way to Austin. :shock:

Kismet said:
er....

Shiny is purty.

justsayin'

:mrgreen:

Alright, Alright, Alright!
Bought a little cheap electric buffer Friday morning. It only has 3500 rpms so I guess I'll see what it can do. It came with two bonnets; one is a sponge applicator and the other one is terry cloth. I did buy a wool pad extra. I'll keep you posted.

M

Michelle
The wood parts are looking good =D>
I hope all is well after the weather You've had the last couple days.
Can't wait for the pict's of the hull after the buffing.
Good luck with that job.

Steve A W

Thank you kindly, Mr. Steve!
We are saturated, but holding our own. Folks further South are way worse.....flooded. [-o<

The sun was shining today, for awhile, so I managed to get another coat of urethane on all three pieces, both sides. Brought them back in the house for tonight, as it is raining AGAIN. :x

If I get a chance, I'll do some buffing tomorrow. I'm anxious to see what that buffer will do.

Thanks for checking in. Your comments are always appreciated. :)

M

VERY COOL!!!! I picked up the exact boat last year. ALTHOUGH mine is listed as a 1957 on the title and had the original 57 evinrude 18hp it is EXACTLY like your clipper. I wondered why it nothing matched my boat for 1957. It was either a carry over 56 or somewhere along the line the title got misprinted. Either way it is exactly like yours. I saved mine from going to the scrap yard when scrap prices were high and gave $300 for boat and motor. I took the 18hp outboard to a local shop to get it running last year and it turned up missing.... they replaced it with an identical 1958 model 18hp that runs so it is what it is. this is motivation for me to get back at my boat. I see they are rated for up to a 40hp motor so I have been thinking about looking for a later model 35-40hp for reliability. I have a 1960 feathercraft with its original 40hp 1960 Johnson and its not fun when the old girl strands you in the middle of the lake haha. I don't have any pics of the lonestar but here is a pic of my feathercraft. I had it out last weekend.

Attachments

• 2014-06-21_12-11-05_213_resized.jpg
    2014-06-21_12-11-05_213_resized.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 993
  • 20150523_121537_resized.jpg
    20150523_121537_resized.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 993
Love seeing these old boats being used and in action! I comment to my wife that we're out on the lake for less than $2000 total, while pointing out boats that are running in the $30,000 price range. :mrgreen:

The last 3 times I took out my tinny we averaged $6 in fuel for the day. :mrgreen:

CMOS

yeah I enjoy them, im only 29 but love these old tin boats. I also like the attention they get. Everytime I take it out, even when it breaks down I always have people tell me how much they love it. BTW I have less then 2k in the 60 feathercraft!

Spudz,

Thank you for sharing! Cool old boat! =D>

BTW: :WELCOME: aboard!
I hope you find this site as interesting and helpful as I. Everyone on here is friendly and eager to share their knowledge. If I can ever be of help, please let me know.
M
Tyler, Texas

OH MY! Talk about an all night rain storm! WOW! Dock is under water now. The spillway is rushing so fast it sounds like the ocean.

Sunshine and 85* but so very humid. I have one more coat of urethane to apply and I'll have the transom and both dashes ready. :D

No, I didn't get that done today. Well, ya see, what had happened was......
I looked on CL early (5am) this morning. Low and Behold what did I see :?: :!: A Prize!!!
Y'all know I'm a sucker for old boat motors. :mrgreen:
1981 Mercury 18hp 2 stroke

Boat motor......$75
New gas lines, bulb and fuel attachment......$49

Brought her home, set it on the back of "Dessert Storm", hooked the water hose to her, 4 pulls and she cranked! She is missing the tilt pin and springs for the reverse lock so I will order those in a bit.

Did not take her out on the lake today. It is flooded and debris is floating. A little too dangerous for this ole' gal right now. [-X AND, Dessert Storm needs a new transom, too. That 18hp is way bigger and heavier than the Johnson 9.5. Looks like I'm going to be "looking" for a little bigger flat bottom! Just like the fat kid in the candy store! :LOL2:

(And, Yes, the hubby went with me to get her!) :D

5.27.2015 Merc 18a.jpg5.27.2015 Merc 18b.jpg5.27.2015 Merc 18c.jpg

CMOS said:
Love seeing these old boats being used and in action! I comment to my wife that we're out on the lake for less than $2000 total, while pointing out boats that are running in the $30,000 price range. :mrgreen:

The last 3 times I took out my tinny we averaged $6 in fuel for the day. :mrgreen:

CMOS

That's Right! =D> =D> =D>

It's not about the amount of money you spend getting on the water; it's all about having fun with family and friends and making memories. 8)

I'm with you on the $6 for gas for the day, and riding in something that I restored, with my own hands.....blood, sweat and fingernails. :)

M

Michelle
Nice score on the Mercury =D> =D> =D>
$75 is a heck of a good price. You never see Merc's go that cheap up here.
Out of thirty some motors in My collection I don't have any Merc's.
I don't have anything against them, I just can't afford them :(
Good Luck with it.

Steve A W

Thanks Steve!
I know you have a nice collection. I guess I never thought about the price of Mercs. I just found a deal and went for it! I would have bought it if it were a Johnson or Evinrude or Yamaha. Just at the right place at the right time. (Thank you Lord!) [-o<

BTW: They never go that cheap down here either. More like $300+. The guy said he didn't want to have to clean the carb, fuel filter, replace lines, impeller, or seals. Glad he didn't! We can! :LOL2:

Nice score on the 18 Merc! =D> There are always deals if you just keep watching. LOT's of people have OB's in their garages or barns that have been collecting dust, just waiting for one of us to grab em!

CMOS

Thanks CMOS! It's heavier than I thought it would be, but that's ok. Got the reverse lock assy ordered today. That's a must have! I've got to look a little deeper to find a tilt lock pin. I didn't realize there are so many different ones with different part numbers. :shock:

Sending you a PM on a possible lower unit for your Johnson. Fingers crossed!

M

Shiny is purty. Anybody can paint, but jeez...SHINY !!!. Lord knows it distracts most men from the tasks at hand. :)

Ok Mr. Kismet & Mr. Steve,

Here's what I did today with the little buffer. BIG difference! I must tell you I had to wet sand (by hand), rinse good and let dry before I ever started with the compound/polish*. That little corner took about an hour to do. I did the transom too, but it has so many dings and scratches from where some moron took a grinder to it years ago. :x It is not as pretty as the side. Oh Well, it is what it is, and will have a plate over the center of it anyway.

I did get the last coat of urethane of the 3 pieces this morning. Whew! Glad that's done. :beer:

M

*The hubby had me buy just regular Mother's aluminum polish. Says that rouge he has is way to difficult for me to do with that little buffer. :| The black that I had on the pad, and my hands, was unreal. It works.....how long, we don't know, but I guess I'm going to find out. :popcorn:
5.28.2015 Lone Starc.jpg5.28.2015 Lone Stara.jpg5.28.2015 Lone Starb.jpg

(And, NO, :oops: that's not our house in the background with all the weeds and grass that need to be mowed. It was my parents home and it was a magnificent show place. We sold it several years ago, after my parents past away.) ](*,)

and just to give you an inkling of what generic brillo pads do to VERY oxidized aluminum:

SERIOUSLY :?: :!: :?:

Doesn't that scratch it? I thought of fine steel wool, but wasn't sure. I was scared the fibers would leave tiny rust marks later on. Go figure.....a brillo pad. :-k

M