Looking at a used boat and worried about corrosion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcchase

Reaction score
It is a 2007 1860 roughneck with a 75hp Etec with 160 hours on the meter. It has been used mostly in saltwater and I found some corrosion in the splash well near the battery area and on the tilt trim unit and the trailer springs . wife got it in the divorce and has been sitting up for awhile. She took in to the mechanic and they completely redid the fuel system and serviced the lower unite etc. So the motor is running great. I can get it for 5k but am kind of worried that there could be corrosion under the decks. Not up on tin boat prices so any opinions on if this is worth taking a chance on ?

Thanks

pcchase,

My major concern is that there is corrosion NEAR the battery. = Aluminum & sulphuric acid (from a possible spill) are NOT compatible and you (imVho) NEED a professional to look at the boat.
(50-100.oo may save you future HEADACHES & $$$$$$.)

yours, satx

It definitely isn't from a battery spill or anything like that. It is surface corrosion in the splash well area near the battery / Bilge pump where there is scratches in the paint or old bolt holes etc ,,I'm guessing some electrolysis from saltwater in the bilge with the battery bilge pump etc.

My biggest concern was that there may be corrosion under the decking that I can not see that will bite me in a few years. It doesn't look to hard to pull up the false deck it is just pop riveted in. So I probably will do that just to make sure

I was able to negotiate the boat down a little more because the motor is not idling very good.. hoping its just clean fuel system / tune up.. compression was good and it ran like a top past idle.., running lights not working etc. Anyways went ahead and took a gamble that and purchased it.

Now I just need to give her a little love and hope she loves me back!!

Well the reason for the corrosion is the boat was sunk. I pulled off an access panel on the side under the console to troubleshoot a wiring issue with bilge pump and it was full of wet beach sand and sea shells. So I popped rivets and started pulling off panels and stripping back foam.Looks like I have some work to do but so far the aluminum under the foam doesn't look 2 bad.Pisses me off that people have to be dishonest and greedy. if a deal is to good it probably is.. Lol .. Oh well guess everybody didn't learn marine corps leadership traits like integrity.

Next step is to strip it all down remove all the foam and get the aluminum cleaned up so will probably be asking some questions as I go through this.

you really sure it was sunk? i only ask because i am wondering how the heck did they sink an 18' boat? they are required to have positive flotation. was the foam totally waterlogged? if not then i would ditch the boat ASAP... husband had his buddies fill it with sand in the bay when he knew the wife was getting it in the divorce. who knows what other problems you will find. good luck

There was sand under the trolling motor mount. I have been getting sand out of it for 2 weeks. No way anyone could do this on purpose. Good thing is it's all out got a few spots of corrosion but can be sanded out with scothbrite.

Latest posts