Looking for a fish/depth finder and would like some opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possom813

Reaction score
I have a 16' Aluminum Basstracker and I let my old fishfinder go with the boat I sold. So I need another one.

All I really want it to do accurately is provide info on depth and temperature. Everything else is a bonus. I'd like one with speed capabilities, but it's not necessary.

I like the links at the bottom that I've found, but don't really understand what the differences are as far as khz and whatnot.

I'd like to get the most value and ease of use that I possibly can on a budget of around 150 bucks.

If you know of a better setup within my budget, let me know.

https://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-X4-Pro-D...prodDescription

https://www.basspro.com/Garmin-echo-150-Fishfinder/product/10210656/-1762225#prodDescription

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-Fishfinder-140/4660394

FOR YOUR BUDGET CHECK OUT A EAGLE CUDA 350S MAP, REALY NICE FOR THE PRICE, I JUST PICKED UP A LOWRANCE 332C AND I LOVE IT! GOOD LUCK!!!

I would go with Humminbird or Lowrance. both have nice 5" screen models for 150.00. the Lowrance Mark 5 is a really nice unit.

HUMMINBIRD,HUMMINBIRD,HUMMINBIRD!!!! SIMPLE TO LEARN TO USE, LOWRANCE IS NOT! AND HUMMINBIRD MAKES A BETTER UNIT FOR THE MONEY........

shawnfish said:
HUMMINBIRD,HUMMINBIRD,HUMMINBIRD!!!! SIMPLE TO LEARN TO USE, LOWRANCE IS NOT! AND HUMMINBIRD MAKES A BETTER UNIT FOR THE MONEY........

spoken like a humminbird man, lol. I have a Mark 5 pro on my console. my first time out, I turned the unit on. whats so hard about that? sure I have changed some settings, but this unit was reading just fine with the factory settings. as I said, either HB or Low. are the way to go. you'll have to show me some proof that HB is a better unit. Ford od Chevy. no one wins this arguement.

I just got an Garmin echo 200 the other day. The resolution is good and it's easy to use. It also is speed capable with the addition of a speed wheel for $29. It's a great unit and updates fast. Sure the kool aid drinkers might knock it because it's not a bird of Lowrance but theirs nothing better at it's $159 price point.

I'm running with a Garmin 160C color monitor that I paid $160 for and its been good but still hard to find fish and determine structure. Then Hummibird came out with the 570DI for $299.00 and I've checked it out at Basspro and it beats Garmin 160C hands down. The DI or Down Imager is like a TV picture of the bottom. Tree stumps and tree limbs appear just like they appear above the water. You can see holes and ditches just like a photograph. As soon as I can afford one, I'll be upgrading and my Garmin 160C will be placed on eBay.

3dees said:
shawnfish said:

spoken like a humminbird man, lol. I have a Mark 5 pro on my console. my first time out, I turned the unit on. whats so hard about that? sure I have changed some settings, but this unit was reading just fine with the factory settings. as I said, either HB or Low. are the way to go. you'll have to show me some proof that HB is a better unit. Ford od Chevy. no one wins this arguement.
LOOK AT THE PEAK TO PEAK POWER FOR YOUR UNIT,RESEARCH THE CRYSTALS IN THE TRANSDUCER,AND COMPARE THE PRICE YOU PAID AND THE PRICE OF A BIRD WITH THE SAME CAPABILITYS AND THATS WHY HUMMINBIRDS ARE BETTER. I WIN HANDS DOWN!!!! LOL!! P.S. YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR YOUR SIDESCAN AND HUMMINBIRD YOU DO NOT,COMES WITH THE UNIT.......

I went to Gander Mtn yesterday and played with a bunch of different models on display.

For the cash and features, the Eagle Cuda 350S is it. I'm familiar with the Eagle Cuda(last two were Cuda 1?? series) and it's 149 out the door with gps.

Like I said, I'm not in for the side sonar and images and whatnot, all I really need is depth and temp, and with the map feature, the 350S will be my new toy. It would be already, but evidently there are a lot of like minded folks out there, the only one left was the display(which I could have gotten for 99 bucks) but the transducer cord was cut when they put it on display, so I have to wait until the middle of next week to get it.

possom813 said:
I went to Gander Mtn yesterday and played with a bunch of different models on display.

For the cash and features, the Eagle Cuda 350S is it. I'm familiar with the Eagle Cuda(last two were Cuda 1?? series) and it's 149 out the door with gps.

Like I said, I'm not in for the side sonar and images and whatnot, all I really need is depth and temp, and with the map feature, the 350S will be my new toy. It would be already, but evidently there are a lot of like minded folks out there, the only one left was the display(which I could have gotten for 99 bucks) but the transducer cord was cut when they put it on display, so I have to wait until the middle of next week to get it.
good luck with your cuda, hope it works out for you....

Well I sell these things so I have a lot of experience. Overall lowrance makes way better units than humminbird. The only humminbird that is nicer in a certain price range is the new 597 ci di and ythe 596c di. Those are very nice units. Suprisingly sharper than the over a thousand dollar units. Lowrance has a way better side scan but u will pay more. Humminbird in the low end units have good backlight but crappy pixelation. Lowrance low end have horrible backlights but greater pixels. Humminbirds dual beams are 20 and 60 degree beams while lowrances and garmins units have 60 and 120 degree beams. What will a 20 or 60 degree do when ur in shallow water? Absolutely nothing! U need a 120 degree beam to displace the signal to get a depth reading in such shallow water. You fish shallow water don't by humminbird. Now garmins old units really were terrible. I never sold garmins because thee sonar was the worst overall. The echos now though have better pixelation and also run the 60 and 120 degree beams like lowrance does and has a decent back light. Even though im prefer the lowrances because I know what im talking about the specs and information on the echos for the price are really good deals. Humminbird might want to watch out on there low end market because garmin seems to be taking over that market. Hope this helps everyone!

I couldn't agree more MDfisherman. I get readings on my echo 200 at 32mph and the resolution is great I like the backlighting as well. You can't compare it to a bird 570di but the bird is $300 and the echo is $159. Water temp + speed capable + Wide angle duel transducer for shallow, great resolution. For the money I'm happy. I need to get some video of it next time I'm out.

I find the gps on the low end fish finders leave a lot to be desired. I have a 60csx for my gps needs.