Make a 1980 35hp Evinrude motor alcohol ready

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coxhaus

Reaction score
I just bought a old 16 Monarch fishing boat with a 1980 35hp Evinrude motor. I thought I would make the motor ready for the current gasoline alcohol blend mixtures at the gas pumps. I am going to replace the fuel lines with alcohol resistant fuel lines. Do I need to replace the quick disconnect fuel thing? The place where the fuel hose from the tank attaches. How do you get the fuel lines real tight so they don't leak air? The previous owner replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt carb but leaft the old original fuel lines.

If the line diameters are the same you should have to replace the quicky. I use the small line clips to keep everything snug on the fixtures but I do check them often for cracks and dry rot.

See if the carb bowl gasket is a light brown or kind of salmon color. If not you will also need to put a kit with the new style carb float in it and alcohol resistant gaskets in there to make it better able to run on that junk. Best advice is for you to pick up some alcohol free gasoline and run that.

Doing the same thing with a Yamaha 25 4 stroke. Except I'm going to run 100% methanol. Have a second carburetor, fuel pump, lines, tank, etc so that if I screw up, I can put the gas carb & pump back on.

Should be interesting. Lower revving engines love methanol. And I would consider this thing to be a "low revver" at 6000 RPM max.

Latest posts