Mercury 9.8 1984 model question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honky Tonkin

Reaction score
I have this motor and it starts and runs great, but I am not sure if I need to replace the impeller or not. It spits water out but it only spurts until I throttle it up a little. Should I change it? i really want to go fishing Sunday, If the impeller is not working like new but still working, will it cause damage?

Thanks,

Joe

So I kind of get the idea of how to do this. What kind of time am I looking at, and are there any special tools i will need(besides regular automotive tools). Is there any other things I should swap out while I have the lower end off?

Thanks for all your help guys!!! Without this site I wouldn't have attempted this project.

Regular tools work great.I can do one in about 30 min.,but I've done a few.
Should have a manual or breakdown if you never had one apart before.
Check your lower unit oil to see if waters getting in it.

its really easy to do, just basically unhook or unscrew the shifter linkage and unbolt lower unit and it pulls right off. you will see the water pump housing sitting right on top. just don't lose any small parts like washers and the little key for the impeller. if all you need is the impeller it is cheap like 15 bucks. i would not run it if you think it needs replaced the impeller could end up even more damaged and wont pump water at all. when you go to the shop to get the part you might as well pick up some gear lube and change it if it hasn't been done this year.

Latest posts