Mercury 9.9 long shaft dimensions vs 20hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.E.R.E.NITY NOW

Reaction score
I have a 2023 mercury 9.9 long shaft and on a 20" transom it still sat 3 inches low. I'm now buying a 2022 mercury 20hp and I'd like to know if it's identical in shaft length and how it sits because I was going to install a fixed jack plate to raise it up that 3 inches. I'm guessing the long shaft 20hp will have the same issue of sitting low like the 9.9
Wondering if anyone has had both and can verify before I drill holes in the transom for this jack plate.
I'm picking up the motor tomorrow and headed to the lake to be docked for the season so I'd like to install the jack plate today and not have to pull it out of the water again later.

This is s complete shot in the dark. Any chance your existing 9.9 is an extra long shaft model?
I measured from the top of the bracket to the cavitation plate and it's 20" it's the slope my transom is on. Even though it's a 20" transom it sits about 3 inches low when the prop shaft is parallel to the bottom of the hull. It doesn't really make a lot of sense because the slope of the transom doesn't look like it's that much.
An extra long would be 25" I believe.

This is s complete shot in the dark. Any chance your existing 9.9 is an extra long shaft model?
It's an MLH model.
It does run best when it's trimmed all the way down. Which also puts it almost parallel to the transom.

Attachments

• 20240421_122601.jpg
    20240421_122601.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts