Mercury Reverse Latch Mystery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallypedigree

Reaction score
On my new to me boat and motor, the motor wants to power itself out of the water in reverse if any significant throttle is applied.

Motor is a 25hp Mercury 2 stroke (2005). It was converted to a jet at some point. I’ve determined it does not have the shift rod which I was able to order from Outboard Jets. I have the reverse latch hook. But it still seems like it might be missing something for the latch to hook onto. Anyone able to share any insight? Does it hook onto the pin that sets the trim angle, or should there be something else?

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpeg
    IMG_0710.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0711.jpeg
    IMG_0711.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0712.jpeg
    IMG_0712.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0713.jpeg
    IMG_0713.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0709.jpeg
    IMG_0709.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
I installed the shift rod from the jet lower into the hook and shift cam in the motor, and that’s functioning. But looking at some diagrams, I’m definitely missing another bracket that it all latches on. The hunt continues!

Shouldn't the spring loaded pin go through the hole on the motor bracket to lock it in? I have power trim on my current motor so I'm forgetting the older setup but my old Suzuki 25 I thought I had to hold the motor and put the pin through at the hole that worked best each time I went out. Either that or the J hook should somehow be pushed down to grab onto that pin to keep it from kicking up. I'm sure someone else will jump in but my memory of that setup isn't so good, it was 25+ years ago.

tilt_pin2.jpg

Shouldn't the spring loaded pin go through the hole on the motor bracket to lock it in? I have power trim on my current motor so I'm forgetting the older setup but my old Suzuki 25 I thought I had to hold the motor and put the pin through at the hole that worked best each time I went out. Either that or the J hook should somehow be pushed down to grab onto that pin to keep it from kicking up. I'm sure someone else will jump in but my memory of that setup isn't so good, it was 25+ years ago.

View attachment 117442
I believe if I do that, it will be permanently locked down and won’t be able to flip up if an obstacle is hit in the water? But I will check it again-thanks for your reply!

I have a '98 Merc 25hp. Unfortunatly, it is at camp, about 200 miles away. Planning to go up there this coming week to drain water lines and other final season close-outs. I'll get some pics of the mechanism. There is a lever that latches it, or allows it to kick-up. I run it unlatched, for better protection from a forward impact. Even with a prop, you can't give it much gas or it will come out of the water.

There is a plastic bracket that tilts the motor for shallow running. It looks like that has been removed on yours, which are needed or wanted whan using a jet.

I believe if I do that, it will be permanently locked down and won’t be able to flip up if an obstacle is hit in the water? But I will check it again-thanks for your reply!
Yea, that is the two choices you have. Locked in or able to kick up. There is no friction adjustment for different forces on kick-up. I'd try to find the jet install manual from Outboard Jets, for your particular pump. They should have recommendations on which to have it in. I suspect locked in. Or, just lock it in before you use reverse. Probably not a big issue if this is a tiller.

Not sure if you need the pics anymore, but here they are:

Attachments

• IMG_8867.jpeg
    IMG_8867.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8866.jpeg
    IMG_8866.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8865.jpeg
    IMG_8865.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8863.jpeg
    IMG_8863.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8862.jpeg
    IMG_8862.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8861.jpeg
    IMG_8861.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8860.jpeg
    IMG_8860.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 0
These are great, thank you. My parts arrive Thursday, this will be a big help.

I did not order the shallow water drive trolling bracket. I’m hoping I don’t need that for the reverse hook to work

My parts arrived today and these pictures were great. I got the reverse hook installed and it appears to be working properly. I have an extra spring, I ended up installing the remote control spring on starboard side instead of the “all other models.” I’m guessing the other spring interfaces with the shallow water drive bracket based on your pictures.
In testing it by hand, the motor can’t swing in reverse, neutral, or just above idle in forward. Once in fast idle forward or beyond, the hook moves up and the motor can swing.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0760.jpeg
    IMG_0760.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg