Minn Kota Dual Bank Onboard Charging

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl008018

Reaction score
New onboard charging system installed. The instructions says the trolling motor should be disconnected from the battery before turning the charger on.

The Minn Kota Edge 45 has the Off-Mon-On switch on the foot control pedal.

Thoughts on the need to disconnect the trolling motor before charging if that switch is set to Off? I was going to put a shutoff switch between the trolling motor and battery but would prefer not to if there is no need.

Thanks!!

How do you have the TM wired to the power supply? with a male/female plug or QD connectors or hard wired?

Originally the TM was wired directly to the battery that sits in the minn kota battery box with the built in fuse. I then wired it to the minn kota disconnect lug to disconnect it frim the battery when the battery needed to be charged. A bit of of a pain with that plug but it works. However thought it might be eaiser with a switch then the foot pedal switch got me thinking.

I just ordered one these switches and will use it as a shutoff for the trolling motor. For $20 it seems to be the best choice to kill the power to the trolling motor when the charger is plugged in.

I already have one of these between my cranking/accessory battery and 8 gang switch so what's one more switch :)

Attachments

• s-l200E3NQ935U.jpg
    s-l200E3NQ935U.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 716
That should work, never used one of those switches, I've always had a male/female plug in the wiring and leave it unplugged when not on the water to avoid accidental startups and while charging.

That's the same thing I do. I run 2 batteries, use one at a time. I installed a switch just before the circuit breaker. I have a 3 bank charger, for the deep cycle batteries and the starter battery.

Attachments

• 031211 004.jpg
    031211 004.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 697
  • 040311 002.jpg
    040311 002.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 694

Latest posts