Minn Kota slower than motor guide

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK

Reaction score
I just switched from a variable speed 12v 55lb thrust motorguide to a minn kota same specs but the minn kota is much slower. It has a 2 blade prop where the motorguide had a 3. My craft is a small, light 16ft. aluminum and I don't need a lot of umph to get it moving...would rather have more top end. Is their any way to increase speed or swap the prop etc. Anybody had this issue before?

Yes you can change the prop . Go to the MK website and look in the accessories, or search for props, and you can find different props that will fit your TM. Changing a TM prop is similar to an OB, a prop nut and washer, and the prop will come off. You can get replacement shear pins as well. The local WM has replacement prop for MK's.

I bow to the trolling motor gurus on this site.

However, at least for outboard powered engines, my understanding ( and experiences) are....

2 blades are for speed; 3 blade for all-around performance; and four blades are for thrust (getting the boat up on plane quickly, with some loss of high-end speed.)

I'd call MK and talk to them.They even have a chat line, I believe.

Any chance that your electrical connection has any corrosion or loose connection and you are not getting the same voltage to the motor???

richg99

I thought the 2 blades where faster on gas motors too. No corrosion on the connections but the minn kota is likely 25% slower than the MG was. Could rpm, could be pitch but I don't see it addressed on the minn kota website. It moves ok for casting but wide open is not even close....like crossing the cove or chasing hybids on top.

Latest posts