Mirrorcraft 14 Deep Fisherman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First coat of black is on. I will need to light sand, tack, and re-apply second coat. Off to get more paint.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2 (3).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (3).jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 1,009
  • imagejpeg_2 (4).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (4).jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 1,009
I cant remember which one of you told me to use just a light coat of the primer......now I see why. I put a pretty good coat of the self etching primer and so far the paint I chose is soaking right up into the primer. Last night I put two coats on using the good ole rattle can.....still needs one more coat to cover completely. I have six cans spayed on the bottom only and still need three more. Just a thought.....next time I will put a very light coat on the aluminum. I should be starting the sides tonight if I am not too tired.

Gators5220 said:
Lookin good man, how is crab season treatin you down south?
It has been better than past years, people are averaging 3/4lb to 1lb per trap.......if they are placed in the right areas. I have heard that some restaurant's are getting between $35-$70 per pound....... :shock:

Naa, But I am one of the largest suppliers of commercial stone crab gear in the gulf of mexico. I know a bunch of commercial crabbers.....so I get lots of info and claws...... :D

I started painting the transom.....This will be my test area, not sure if I like the cobalt blue....will paint the black later today.

Attachments

• transom paint.jpg
    transom paint.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 1,361
  • Transom paint 2.jpg
    Transom paint 2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 1,361
  • Transom paint3.jpg
    Transom paint3.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 1,361
O nice man, we didn't get a lot of Stone Crabs in Vero, mostly Blue Crabs, and small ones at that, good for poons but not for eating.

couple more pics, I finished painting outside hull....now I just need to spray with clear gloss.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2 (5).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (5).jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 1,340
  • imagejpeg_2 (6).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (6).jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 1,340
Been enjoying your project and process. Everything looks great. One question on the attachment of the 1" aluminum framing to the side of the hull. L clip riveted to the hull with the 1" framing setting on top of it? Thanks a lot.

I used the pop rivets for the ribs, everything else was self tapers right into the ribs on the floor. There is just enough room between the ribs on the bottom of the boat to keep the self tappers from penetrating the hull itself. This will not be my last mod....my next one I plan on welding everything. I am trying to talk this lady into selling me her lake strap style boat....with the windshield and big ole car steering wheel. :lol:

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting how a lot of us keep going from one project to another. My wife doesn't understand that half or more than half of the fun is the pursuit, the hunt, the challenge itself.

If you get the big boat, be sure to start a thread on it as well. Everyone enjoys reading them.

Make sure to post some pics of the completed Mirocraft. Thanks.

I am keeping the mirror craft, I love that boat.....If I talk the lady into it the other boat it is a 14' too.......My girlfriend will kill me if I bring a 4th boat home right now before xmas.......my current project should be water ready soon, then on to my 21' seastrike........break out the pocket book since this is getting a complete overhaul this winter.

Big wave did you use spray cans for your paint job? It looks very good from what I can see. If so how many cans did it take? I have the same boat and want to do a paint job this winter.

Thanks Jim

Yep I sure did.....I really wanted to use some good epoxy by interlux but it was kinda expensive. For the outside hull I used six cans of rustoleum on the bottom, black metal flake. I used 4 cans of rustoleum cobalt blue metal flake on the sides. I also used four cans of self etching primer for the entire hull, it was too much IMO.......I think two cans and a light coat would have made the finish coats easier. I still have not decided if I am going to use a clear gloss or not.... I kinda like the way it looks right now.....Mooberg's mod made my mind up on the colors since my deck is going to be very similar to his. I spent 60 bucks for the paint and 20 for the primer. It will do for now and I learned a few things on the way. I still plan on making the rub rails white and maybe an accent line on the water line white too. I started attaching the deck last night and should have that complete this week.