MK vs MG.... breaker difference

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishjunky

Reaction score
The boat I bought (14' v hull) came with a 40 lb thrust minn kota. No breaker or fuse is installed as far as I can tell. This the original series powerdrive motor that has a foot pedal on a long cord. The battery was located at the back of the boat.

I just purchased a used motorguide with 55 lb thrust because it has remote steering that you can use a fob remote with.

I also just ordered a minn kota power center battery box which has a 60 amp breaker built in.

Now after ordering, I read in the motorguide manual they recommend a 50 amp breaker.

Would a 60 amp breaker be OK for the motorguide? I would prefer to put the battery under the bow, but it will probably stay at the stern due to how the boat balances on the trailer/keeping my tongue weight appropriate.

Not sure if I made a mistake on getting this motorguide but I can resell it if I need to for what I put into it. It seems to be louder when turning than the minn kota. Can that be serviced to be made a bit more quiet?

Go on Ebay- the breakers are inexpensive, something like $9-12.

I don't like the MG motors very much, as I've had bad success with them.

I found a copilot for my Powerdrive for $75 once, and a Autopilot unit for $50. Turned my bare-bones unit into a Cadillac! I really love the Autopilot. If I had to choose, I would pass on the remote rather than lose that.

But if you have the MG and like it, don't worry too much. Most gears will quiet down with use, but I don't know about that motor in particular.

-TH

The guy that I bought the MG from used it a fair amount so I don't think there is any breaking in that needs to happen at this point. He said it has made the noise since he bought it.

Can the copilot be installed on the old MK powerdrives (not V2)?

I'll prob hang on to both for right now but will sell one or the other sometime soon. I'm in NC.

Yes, they make them for the original and V2 motors. Check Ebay and online classifieds.

You usually have to search and wait for a deal, though! Took me maybe 3 weeks of daily searching to find ones for what I wanted to pay. Was worth the wait, though!

-TH

Hey, and for what it's worth, scan Craigslist for old broken Powerdrive units with AP and CP... Those parts don't usually break, and it's a 5 minute swap with a screw gun.

Like I say, I absolutely love Autopilot. That's one reason I'm not keen on MG units. I have a jon boat with a regular unit, and I aimed it toward a school of fish and started tying on a swim bait. When I looked up, I was facing the wrong direction! MAN, you get used to luxury quickly.

I either need to find an AP unit for that motor, or swap it with the one on my other boat.

And I don't want to even try the i-pilot until I get one. That could ruin me!

-TH

I think I'll wait until I get my battery to decide which motor to sell (waiting on battery box to arrive to make sure I get one that fits).

The MK is 40 lbs thrust and the MG is 55... stronger is better I'm sure but the boat+gear+people should be less than 1000 lbs most of the :time. I think 40 lbs would be sufficient. What do y'all think?

As you said... stronger is better.

Another thing is that the MK is a digital motor, so you will find the batteries really last. Not sure what model MG you have, but my last one ate batteries like it was starving. It was a 42# Great White.

-TH

Both are digital motors.

I picked up a battery and the MK is significant quieter than the MG, despite being older.

I'm going to take the boat out this weekend for the maiden voyage. I'll see how well the 40 lb will pull the boat.