Monark 14 foot project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cathprod said:
Well here are the promised pictures if any one is interested. I gave a shot of the whole bottom and then a closeup of where I fastened the transom brace using stainless steel #10 bolts/washers/nuts with some 5200. That is the best position I could get the boat in by myself (and I probably should not have even attempted that. This steelflex seems like a great product.

Waterwings: I am guessing you mean Oakwood Mall on the westbank, it was redone after Katrina and is really nice now. As far as the buildings where you worked, I am not sure what condition they are in. I have fished right by the Lakefront Airport though, and have caught a few really nice speckled trout, though I could not imagine what it would be like out there in this 14'.

That looks great bro! I am fixing up a monark too and so is BaptistPreacher.

Waterwings said:
That looks good! 8)

I believe it was Oakwood Mall. They had a Maisson Blanche store there as I recall. Nope, I wouldn't take a 14' on Ponchatrain either. :shock:

Believe it or not a lot of people fish Ponchatrain in flatboats. I wouldn't and I don't recommend it. It's notorious for whipping up the ugliest chop you have ever seen and swamping boats on a slight breeze. The places I fish (in my 14' modified-v) are all in the marsh or no more than a mile or two from safe harbor. I do fish the outside a lot but you really need to use your head and have a quick route to protected water.

WW, just about every building had flood damage of some type. We had 19' of standing water (does not account for the waves) at the shipyard where I worked. I will ask the guys at work tomorrow about the building you are referring too.

Cathprod, It's looking good. You need to hurry, the Spring bite should start any day if it hasn't started already. You might have said, but what motor do you have for it? One more prying question, what does Cathprod mean?

Well I have some more updates. I have cut out the top of the bench seats for storage and made the stencil for cutting out the plywood for the floors. I am planning to use a 1x12 on top of the bench seats and cutting it down the middle so that each half opens from the middle of the bench seat toward the side of the boat. I have also painted the rest of the outside of the boat above the steelflex with an etch primer and a silver acrylic enamel (it came out okay considering we rolled and brushed the acrylic enamel). I will post pictures of the silver acrylic enamel in the next day or so, I only had a chance to take a picture of the primer.

Specknreds, I am moving as fast as I can, I stayed up til almost 1 last night working (it seems like late at night is the only time I can muster up). Cathprod is a shortened form of my business Catholic Productions. We produce bible studies on CD and DVD as well as operate a screen printing shop. I am also teaching a couple classes at Dominican right now and really enjoying my 9 month old son, which is why I am super busy. Keep me posted on all the fish you are catching, I am sure it will make me move a little faster!

Attachments

• Etch Primer.jpg
    Etch Primer.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,180
  • front floor template.jpg
    front floor template.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,182
  • Simple Frame for front floor.jpg
    Simple Frame for front floor.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Middle Floor Template.jpg
    Middle Floor Template.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,180
  • Bench Seat.jpg
    Bench Seat.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,183
Cathprod, I was just picking/motivating you about hurrying up :D Your doing the right thing by spending time with your son and he will be sitting beside you in the boat before you know it. They grow up way too fast.

Great job. Here' s a though about your storage opening from the middle. you won't be able to access it from the outside of the boat, but if you flipped the way it opened, or even made it front to back, then you could access inside and outside of the boat. (for the times you just need to grab one thing or put something back in or out of the boat. I cut my hatches different for that reason

Hey cathprod.
What happened with the boat registration.My wife works wlf here in district 3.She says if the boat was registered in your grandmothers name,then all you should need is a notarized act of donation from grandma to you.With that you should be able to get it registered in your name.
Hope this helps.
Bobby :D

Hey Mudbug. My grandmother actually never registered it so I have to fill out a registration app, an app for boat inspection (because there is no 12 digit hull number), and get a justice of the peace to notarize a court order affidavit of ownership. I have all of this now and will be mailing it in. From there I am at the mercy of WLF, but I spoke with a captain here who does the boat inspections and he said if I get the affidavit of ownership then I should be home free. So that is where I stand now. Thanks for asking, I will let everyone know how it turns out whenever I hear back from WLF, in the meantime I will continue working on the boat and pray really hard that all goes well with the registration!

cathprod said:
... really enjoying my 9 month old son, which is why I am super busy.

Man, I feel for ya... my son just turned 9 months a few days ago and has begun crawling. So me and wifey have our hands full. Kinda puts a big slow down to boat project - in a good way of course.

Wow it has been a while. I have an update for everyone. I have all the decking cut and have put the bench seat covers on. I went ahead with them opening to the outside of the boat but made sure that they would allow easy access while outside the boat as warned (Thanks for the heads up baptistpreach). You can basically get the idea of what she will look like once carpeted. The decks will be removable so I took a shot of the handle we will use to more easily remove them. I also threw in a shot of the final paint job and the 15hp Mercury. I finally took her out on the water and with three men averaging about 160 lbs each she seemed to go about 20 give or take a few. I will check with the gps next time out. The really good news is that there was not one drop of leakage!!! The bad news is that that where the ribs were previously welded they cracked again. We will be adding more ribs and welding the broken ones correctly this weekend so that it should be good as new. I hope everyone is doing well!

Attachments

• Removable Deck.jpg
    Removable Deck.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 674
  • Front Deck Seat.jpg
    Front Deck Seat.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 674
  • Birds Eye View.jpg
    Birds Eye View.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 674
Pictures continued.

Attachments

• Max.jpg
    Max.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 672
  • Paint.jpg
    Paint.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 671
  • Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 678
  • Bench opened.jpg
    Bench opened.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 672
  • Bench Closed.jpg
    Bench Closed.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 674
I like it! Very simple and usable! Great work. Mine is coming along well, I just had to do some serious restoration on my trailer, and now the boat can get on, and I can attach everything! Tomorrow morning is the first day of spring so I gotta get moving!

First, Great looking build! :D

I like how you did the simple 2x4 bracing for the flooring. My boat is very similar to yours, and I think I would like to try the same thing for a low, removeable deck.

Are the 2x4s just resting on the ribs, or did you cut a notch out of them so that they rested flush with the floor? I'm assuming that they're not attached in any way since you said it was removeable. Can you describe it, or better yet, post a pic?

The 2x4's are just resting on the ribs. I would post some pics for you but the boat is currently with a friend who is doing some welding on the ribs to increase the support. In about a week I should be able to post some better pictures for you. Basically the 2x4's look like a triangle. The full 4" height of the 2x4 sits on the back rib and then it is cut at the an angle so that once the 2x4 gets to the front rib it is at a width where the deck will sit level on top. There are three 2x4's like this and sturdiness will not be a problem.

Looks Good
Hey just thought I would say something
In the pic. I see your motor is laying on the wrong side should have it Tiller handle side down.

If it has oil in it - it will fluid lock- cylinders will be full of oil and it wont pull or If you force it may mess things up.
Pull spark plugs and pull till all oil is out - might even get in your carb.
Keep pullin it will take a while to start.

I fluid locked my new motor the same way.
Like your boat
Ron

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the heads up. She is still up and running and now there should be no need to take the motor off the boat, but in the even that I do thanks for the info, I would have never even thought to second guess anything. I need to actually post some pics with the full carpet job and seats installed. I have been so busy that when I finally find free time I go fishing and have failed to keep this updated. It is nothing fancy but makes for a cheap comfortable boat that can put me on some fish, which is all i wanted.