Motor ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiverDog357

Reaction score
I bought a 2.5 h.p. Mercury 2 stroke of a guy about a year ago on Craigslist. Got it for 250 bucks and it was in excellent shape, not a scratch or a ding on it. He didnt have any of the paperwork or even remember what year he bought it. He was a very old fellow and lived in a rich neighborhood so I really don't think it was stolen. My problem is I don't know how to figure out what year it was built or what model #. I need a new prop like I stated in another post but really dont know how to find it. I looked on I boats under 2.5 Mercury and they have one for like $11 dollars but they have 2 different ones. One is a 6 degree pitch and the other a 7. Does that little bit make a difference or how do I know which one I have. I believe I read somewhere that the greater the pitch the more torque, correct me if I'm wrong. Are any of you guys dealers or anything that if I gave you the serial # you could tell me some info? I think on a tag it says it was made by Brunswick. Totally new to Jon Boats and gas motors so please bear with me. I was a Sportspal Canoe man and totally love em but just needed some more room since my wife has started fishing and I take my dog with me everywhere I go. She is part Lab and part Fish so it just isnt right to leave her at home, the wife either it seems it's one thing we can always do together and never worry about anything else other than who's the better fisherman. She usually is but don't tell her I said that! Thanks guys I know you'll lead me in the right direction...

Have you pulled the hood (AKA upper cowl) and checked for an engine tag?That would have the model number also.I am not familiar with your motor, but as far as props,the higher the pitch number,the more bite thrust.Problem with small motors and prop pitch, is to much pitch and the motor may not get enough rpm and/or bog down.

The current prop thats on the motor now,should have the size(pitch/diameter)stamped right on it.
With pitch,I think one revolution goes that many inches..ex,6pitch-1 rev. moves 6 inches.Like said above,if your motor is small or your boat heavily loaded a bigger pitch won't help you,most likely hurt if you don't get the proper rpm.
A small outboard like that,I don't think your looking for speed so probably just put what was on it.

Yeah not looking to win any speed records, just need something to get me where I'm going. I know where the tag is but it doesnt have a year or model #. I believe it is a 6 pitch and doubt that the 7 would make that much of a difference. I may just buy them both and see how it goes. At least I'll still have a back-up. Well thanks for your input!!

Were it on the 1436 tracker, I would put the 6 pitch on it. That motor isn't really big enough for that boat, so you are needing a lower pitch, which will have more torque, but less speed, as opposed to the higher pitch that would give you more speed, but less torque.

I think it's plenty big enough for the boat. It does really well with it, not much difference between it being on the boat or on the canoe. The river I fish is very small maybe 50 to 75 yards wide. I'm afraid if I put a larger motor on when I bottom the thing out in the shallows I may not be able to pull it through by myself b/c of the added weight. Thanks for your input guys I really love this site, I have logged a lot more time than my wife thinks I should already. Tons and tons of good info. and you are some of the most knowledgable, well mannered people as compared to most other forums I've visited.

Latest posts