Motorguide Problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gajet31

Reaction score
I had a problem with my trolling motor today. I was trolling thru some light underwater brush, and I stepped on the top of my petal to turn the motor, and I heard a loud pop. The petal was no longer steering the motor. It was freely moving but it had no effect on the direction of the prop. I looked on the underside, and saw how the petal moves a shaft forward and backward, and that part was working, but somewhere between that shaft and the head of the motor, it is not working. Any ideas? I feel like this is a completely mechanical issue, not electrical. Maybe I broke a piece of plastic, or something came disconnected inside. All suggestions are welcome.
David

:twisted: If it not cable driven then open the head on the motor. You will see the plastic housing that holds the gear in place is probably broken.

I believe the problem is a broken steering cable. I ordered one from a local motorguide dealer, and I am planning on doing the installation myself. Does anyone have any advice or prior knowledge on this job? Thanks,
David

Latest posts