Mounting a fuel filter to the transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucker99

Reaction score
I have a 20 Tohatsu 4-stroke on the way. It's fuel injected and picky about clean fuel. I'm mounting a screw-on filter base to the transom and wondering if I'm creating an an air trap. The fuel line would come out of the 5-gal tank, up to the filter and down under the transom brace and up to the motor. What do the rigging guys think?

Could you rig from tank, under transom brace, to F/W separator filter to priming bulb to motor? Be aware when replacing the cartridge you MUST fill the new filter w/ fresh fuel before installing.

In picture shown, mine is on left side of hull right at the stern. I keep the fuel tank on the left, 8’ line to f/w filter, so as to move the tank between mid to rear or mid to front seat, for trim, and to help offset my helm and me situated on the right.
...Dd
BEC32C55-AA3E-42A3-9461-35884B48EC41.png

I don't see how that would trap air any more than the high point in your fuel line would. Air would have to come from somewhere. As long as the dip tube in your tank is below the fuel line, there shouldn't be any air to accumulate.

I run a Merc/Tohatsu 30 EFI.. Fuel filter mounted on transom, primer bulb between tank and filter, tank is behind rear seat. I have had no problems with that set up, but as Dale stated fill the filter when you change it, saves a lot of primer sqweezes.

John

You are not creating an air trap as long as you pay attention to fitting seal and hose tightness.
What you will notice is that once the engine is up and running on the filter that the fuel level in the filter reservoir will be very low. That is perfectly normal. As long as the level stays high enough to touch the filter element it will pull through just fine.

Gents thanks, I was hoping to get that response. I like the idea of a little extra fuel line to put the tank in front of bench seat for ballast when running solo. Didn't think that would help but it's 30 lbs when full and that is significant. Iv'e been bit so much with bad fuel in the past, I immediately default to a 2-micron Racor. It's expensive and a beast but should last a few years between changes.

tucker99 said:
It's expensive and a beast but should last a few years between changes.
On the contrary ... likely it will expire sooner, due to the smaller screen size. Same scenario occurs w/ HVAC filters (where the higher the # the better) where higher performing MERV filters expire quicker as they collect particles that a lower grade filter would allow to pass through it.