My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have sealed lots of holes in old aluminum boats with polyurethane construction adhesive. It comes in a caulk style tube and is very inexpensive. It becomes very hard and I have never had any issues with it and it can be painted after it cures. Plus you can find it almost anywhere. I get mine at home depot. Just make sure you sand area to bare metal so it cant flake off with paint.

ouachita1648 said:
I have sealed lots of holes in old aluminum boats with polyurethane construction adhesive. It comes in a caulk style tube and is very inexpensive. It becomes very hard and I have never had any issues with it and it can be painted after it cures. Plus you can find it almost anywhere. I get mine at home depot. Just make sure you sand area to bare metal so it cant flake off with paint.

lol thanks, but the boat is done for sure!

hey man the boat looks awesome. i wanted to ask u if u have any pics of how the sides are mounted. i like the look its real clean. i want to try to do that on my boat. and also what thickness is your aluminum angle u used. thanks

well i just seen one of ur previous posts on how u riveted the sides in. did u rivet it any up top or just to the support ribs

I know this may be a little late, but I saw this and thought this would be perfect for what I want to do to the boat my dad and I have. It would open it up for some roomy fishin and still make it possible for me to duck hunt out of it as well. I was wondering though, just because I'm working on a real tight budget, about how much would you recommend squirreling away to be able to finance this project? The boat looks great and the effort you put into this boat really shows. Quality work my friend.

cmatthews_jm said:
I know this may be a little late, but I saw this and thought this would be perfect for what I want to do to the boat my dad and I have. It would open it up for some roomy fishin and still make it possible for me to duck hunt out of it as well. I was wondering though, just because I'm working on a real tight budget, about how much would you recommend squirreling away to be able to finance this project? The boat looks great and the effort you put into this boat really shows. Quality work my friend.

hmmm, it depends, my boat needed some work before i could actually do the resto. to get a fully carpeted boat like min, you will need a minimum of $600 IMHO. I have and extra 1100 in mine (on top of the 600 i paid for boat and trailer). So i have a little over $1700 in the boat and i dont even have a gas motor. not only that, i found the cheapest route to do things but still got quality results. All the work except for the aluminum welding was done my me and friends.

Costs (from what i remember)

Boat and Trailer: $600 (you cant buy this boat brand new for less than
Registration and Titling: $120
Welding: $50 (and that was done at a discount because I knew the guy)
Aluminum angle: $60 new
sheet metal (to fix front):$12
1 5/16" Aluminum pipe (front gunnal) $12
Duck Boat Paint: $48 (directly ordered from Parker Coatings...cheapest route)
Seats: $40 at bass pro on sale
Carpet: $55 i got it for a steal because I used to work at Lowes and fish with the guy in flooring
Contact Cement: $33 Lowes
Sandpaper and supplies for sanding $15 Lowes
Stainless Hardware: $40 Lowes
Rivets $20 Lowes (had access to free rivet gun)
Front Seat Pedestal: Free (had it sandblasted for free and i painted it)
Swivels: $16 Walmart
Spray Paint and Primer for Swivel: $12 O'Reilly's
Front Bow stainless Eyelet: $14 iboats.com
Self Etching Primer: $10 Walmart
Fiberglass Resin: (3 cans) $33 Walmart
supplies for fiberglassing wood: $10 Walmart
1/2" Plywood (casting deck and top of back bench): $36 Lowes (had to buy two pieces because of a stupid accident on my part)
Side wooden pieces: Free at work
3/16" Aluminum Road sign: $55 salvage yard
RodSaver Rod Holders: $34 Amazon.com
Wiring: Free
Side Lights from Ford Ranger: $3.00 (i already had one, i had to buy another.
extra sidelights just in case: $10.00 (i bought two more incase i wanted to add lights elsewhere)
Navigation lighting and sockets: $35 walmart
Fuse Block: $9 at Advance Auto
Paint Booth usage: $20 (I know the guy)
Winch Strap: $10 Walmart
Anchor Points: $6 Walmart
Garmin 140 Fishfinder: $100 Amazon.com
50# Thrust Minn Kota Transom Mount trolling motor: $120 Craigslist (only one year old!!!)
Battery: $85 Walmart
Battery Box: $9 Walmart
Life Vests: $10 Walmart
Throw Cusion: $9 Walmart
Watertight box (keys and phone): $5 Walmart
Anchor Free
Trailer tie downs: $16 Walmart
light switches: Free

TOTAL: $1742 (give or take)

like I said, i got a bunch of discounted stuff and free stuff, had i bought the boat and trailer new along with no discounts or anything, that number would be ofer twice that.

I really appreciate that 'budget' list. I've already got a boat, motor, battery(2), trolling motor, and all the safety stuff so thats a little less money I would have to spend. I think most of my money will go into a new paint job, and new flooring/decking. And I'm really interested in how you took out that middle seat. That is awesome considering I had never really thought about doing that. I do have a question though. Did you foam underneath the aluminum sign you put down for the floor? I don't remember reading about it but I'm sure you did. What did you do it with?

cmatthews_jm said:
I really appreciate that 'budget' list. I've already got a boat, motor, battery(2), trolling motor, and all the safety stuff so thats a little less money I would have to spend. I think most of my money will go into a new paint job, and new flooring/decking. And I'm really interested in how you took out that middle seat. That is awesome considering I had never really thought about doing that. I do have a question though. Did you foam underneath the aluminum sign you put down for the floor? I don't remember reading about it but I'm sure you did. What did you do it with?

WELLLLLLL, I should have put foam down, but I didnt :/ I already had spent a bit and didnt wanna fork out more. but my floor is removable (if i remove some rivets) so i can add it at a later time. I would reccommed it though to put some down. As far as the middle bench goes, i just took a sawzall to that mother and out she came! I left the little flaps that rivet it to the boat as i didnt see a need to make new holes to fill. just cut it close as you can to the side of the boat and then hammer down the flaps since you are covering them up anyways with carpeted side pieces.

but yeah, i didnt get all this at one time lol. The trolling motor i got a few years ago, but all the other stuff, i have been getting since the beginning of 2010.

But remember this stuff adds up real quick

jasper60103 said:
I was wondering how did you attach the side panels to boat?...

after i carpeted them, i riveted them in. my bottom rib supports go up the sides a little bit. I riveted them into those, not the actual sides of the boat

in this pic, you can vaguely see the rivets:

392441711.jpg

Yeah I understand that. I just needed an estimate on what I should start saving. I think now it would be safe to keep around $700 in the bank. Dad is a commercial brick mason and I could probably get some materials (angle alum., foam, wood, etc.) from scavenging a job site or two. Hopefully anyway.

About how long do you think it took you to sand the boat and would you recommend the use of some sort of sander?

cmatthews_jm said:

Yeah I understand that. I just needed an estimate on what I should start saving. I think now it would be safe to keep around $700 in the bank. Dad is a commercial brick mason and I could probably get some materials (angle alum., foam, wood, etc.) from scavenging a job site or two. Hopefully anyway.

About how long do you think it took you to sand the boat and would you recommend the use of some sort of sander?

two long days of working on it---only breaking for to eat. we tried a palm sander, but the ol hand did the job best. be prepared with masks and stuff

That sounds good man, Im very ready to start this process. I'm gonna get some pictures this weekend and post them sometime next week so that I can can some advice on what need to happen as far as hull condition goes before I actually start 'doing it up' nice. I do appreciate that you posted this reno. It truly is something to be proud of.

no problem! im here to help with anything! I had no intentions of a boat this nice until i started looking on this site, next thing i know ive spent a crap load of money and i have one nice jon boat!

I just got a foot controlled trolling motor from my dad for free. Its an oler style but Ill tell you what, it looks like a stout beast. all metal design so I dont have to worry about breaking anything lol.

Its a Mariner trolling motor and the only thing I know about it is what I found on iboats. does ANYONE know anything about these or owned one?

Here is what i found (not my motor, but i have one exactly like it)
Well, after playing with it a bit last night, I think I have it figured out. It's a scissor mount, but it isn't nearly as easy as pulling a cord and dropping it into position.

Stowed position:

DSCF6682.jpg

Operational postion:

DSCF6683.jpg

Switching between the two, while on the water, may be interesting to put it mildly.

Step 1: Climb out on bow

Step 2: Release catch (marked by yellow arrow)
troll-trans1.jpg

Step 3: release second catch (marked by yellow arrow)
troll-trans2.jpg

Step 4: rotate various pieces into operational positions
troll-trans3.jpg

I can definitely see myself going overboard trying to stow/un-stow this beast.

--
aborgman

From the looks of it, you will need an instruction manual to deploy that thing :LOL2: Can't beat the price, should be fine.

Ictalurus said:
From the looks of it, you will need an instruction manual to deploy that thing :LOL2: Can't beat the price, should be fine.

No kidding! but once its out i dont need to put it in and out once on the water like I would if I had a bass boat. Once I get a gas motor, that will change though.

I have to say that this is one of my favorite boats on the site. It has a very clean look to it. Also, I understand what you were going through with this build. I'm getting married soon myself and trying to rehab a 12 footer. It's a fine line you have to walk with building a boat and keeping the fiance happy with wedding planning. Well done sir!