My Bass Tracker III Mod 16' *updated 6/24/10*

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I had a chance to pick up a 1998 50 hp 4 stroke mercury today for 800 with no controls but opted against it because I am at a realization that four strokes are expensive to fix and expensive and young dont mix well. It was also a rental motor that has been used since 98 with a lot of hours on it im sure. So I went instead for a 2-stroke mariner with all controls.. I believe it is a 86 and it is super clean. I got this set up for 650 which I hope is a good deal... My outboard knowledge is quickly growing but still lacking so can you guys give me some insight if this was a good deal on my end. Here are some pics they will be mounted on my outboard tommorow and I will update with new pictures soon.

Attachments

• MARINER1.jpg
    MARINER1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,771
  • MARINER.jpg
    MARINER.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,771
Sounds like a great deal to me. I see 40 hps on craigslist without controls for more than that. Only time will tell. Did you see it run? If I were you, instead of taking someones word for it, I would go through the main checklist before I put it on the water. It doesn't hurt to check the compression on it first. You need to make sure the water cools the head. You need to look at the lower unit yourself. It's not that hard on my mariner. It's only four bolts and a linkage cable. I'm sure the guy changed the lube before he sold it. But, you can look for excessive water, metal shavings, mishapen seals, and you can check your impeller while you are at it. I was able to do these things myself, with a little help from google. Just a thought, before you mount it and go balls to the wall. Good find.

Hey NCfishing, yeah we had it running for about 5 minutes it runs like a champ, but I will take it to the shop to get it serviced before i hit the open waters make sure everything is good. I am excited about it, Now i just need to learn how to mount it on the boat :shock: . What part of NC are you in?

I'm about 3 miles from the Cape Fear river, 6 from Sheron Harris, and 10 from Jordan lake. A whole lotta fishin spots. I live in Broadway, which is just east of Sanford. I've only had my boat out on the Cape Fear so far, and had a great time everytime. I've night fished Sheron Harris at least 5 times, with floating crappie lights, and have been real successful every time. The worst part about catching 40 t0 100 crappie, is when you get home. You have to clean dem fish. I'd rather scale em', and fillet em', but the electric knife is quicker. run it right down the ribs, run it off the skin, then cut out the rib cage. Good Chow.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the 50hp 4 stroke? I'm in Clayton, NC. I fish Harris and Falls mostly and local JoCo ponds. I have a 16' traveler that has a 35hp Mercury 2 Stroke with no power tilt or reverse. I can do with out reverse but I'm lazy and I want power tilt and trim, lol. Seeing that my boat is rated for a 65hp motor and I enjoying getting where I want to go quickly I really want a bigger motor. Also my brother likes to race me. Sorry to hi-jack your thread man. I'll be starting one soon for my boat.

Sorry again,
JJ

No problem at all hijack away hah. I am actually from cary and am very familiar with all those lakes. Harris is a good fishing spot near raleigh. I am not much of a crappie fisher NCfishin but i sure do enjoy to eat them. I found that motor a ways away from you in asheville but its only a two hour drive from me. It may still be available he is asking 950 but i talked him down to 800 before backing down and taking an alternate route. If you need his number PM me ill be happy to give it to you. He also has a 60 if you really want speed but it is newer and much more expensive. I have been wishy washy about picking a motor but I just found an awesome deal on a 2000 2-stroke oil injected 50hp mercury for 600 and the guy even threw in a old fishfinder for me and all controls but no key! It does come with tilt and trim which im excited about. I picked it up and now i have to get rid of the Mariner but this is it this merc is my motor. Its heavy as a mug so itll be a little while before i get a chance for one of my buddys to come down and help me set it up but pics will come soon. I have a electrician buddy coming sunday to help but in a new aerator and bilge pump and this thing will be water ready. Anyone have any suggestions in how to get a new key for the control box?

Queencitybassman said:
I am hoping someone can help me out here.. I have a choice between a 40hp mariner 1984 for my tracker or a or a 30hp johnson 1989.. Both are the same price. the 30 might be small but ive always had johnsons and its newer.. Can anyone tell me about mariners.. ive been told they were solid motors. I need to make the decision by today... anyone?

Take the Johnson but don't take my word for it, go price a carb kit for that motor ($130 per carb x 2) Now a true blue Yamaha 40 HP has 3 carbs not two but you can get a carb kit for 30 bucks apiece (And no you can't get the Mariner parts from Yamaha) I passed on a '86 Grumman with a 40 HP Mariner once I got a look at replacement part cost. (Electrical/electronics parts just as bad). I opted for an older slightly smaller boat (1644 vs 1648) with a really clean '98 Evinrude 25 HP with controls. Every screw is still available for that motor and replacement parts are common and cheap. Just about everything pre-1990 with parts supplied by Mercury (Force, Mariner, Mercury) are ridiculously priced for replacement parts. (Until recently I had an '85 Force 15HP and a '76 Mercury 20HP)

Wow it has been a while since an update. It took me about a month to get a title but mostly painless and relatively inexpensive since it had never been titled it was pretty easy but just dragged out a long time.. There went the spring spawn.. I did not want to touch a thing on this boat until I had it titled so in the last month this is where I am. Here it is.. not much cosmetic work.. Mostly cleaned out the boat, replaced the hinges.. replaced the pedestal seats (The carpet and bench will match when its said and done). Spent a good bit of time replacing the motor and upgrading to a 2-stroke 2000 50hp that cranks right up now. It needed a little work and a new lower unit but I managed a ridiculous deal on it and now I hope it runs for years to come.. it has less then 20 hours total run time on it. None of the switches were working so I pulled out all the wires and rewired everything.. lights, livewell, bilge, and trolling motor all work great now. Cosmetics wont be really worked on until after the season but most everything "under the hood" is running well now although I am having the bench re-upholstered to match the pedestal seats soon. I prefer the bench rather then get seats it gives it more authenticity and the bench is ridiculously comfy. I will be fishing with a mismatched boat until the winter which bothers me but My boat win any boat shows... yet :roll: .. but i refuse to miss anymore fishing season due to catching the mod bug late!! May run her a little tommorow maybe cast a few lines but its suppose to be blistering hot. Tight lines guys!

Attachments

• exclusive 003.JPG
    exclusive 003.JPG
    699.7 KB · Views: 1,253
  • boat update 001.JPG
    boat update 001.JPG
    692.3 KB · Views: 1,253
  • boat update 002.JPG
    boat update 002.JPG
    691.6 KB · Views: 1,253
  • boat update 003.JPG
    boat update 003.JPG
    804.1 KB · Views: 1,253
  • boat update 004.JPG
    boat update 004.JPG
    769.5 KB · Views: 1,253
  • boat update 005.JPG
    boat update 005.JPG
    814.4 KB · Views: 1,253
  • boat update 006.JPG
    boat update 006.JPG
    789.8 KB · Views: 1,253
  • new stuff 008.JPG
    new stuff 008.JPG
    699.5 KB · Views: 1,253
  • new stuff 007.JPG
    new stuff 007.JPG
    895.7 KB · Views: 1,253
  • new stuff 009.JPG
    new stuff 009.JPG
    851.8 KB · Views: 1,253
  • my bass tracker 022.JPG
    my bass tracker 022.JPG
    790 KB · Views: 1,253
Took the family out on the lake today to cruise.. Would of liked to fished but it was too late when I got out there too hot to fish and I brought my baby girl with me.. finally water ready.. starts like a champ but does not open up as fast as I think she can.. i may try running some seafoam in there to cleans it out a little but it seemed to be runnning better and better as the day went on.. here are some pictures enjoy guys!

Attachments

• first trip out 001.JPG
    first trip out 001.JPG
    659.6 KB · Views: 1,242
  • first trip out 002.JPG
    first trip out 002.JPG
    664.1 KB · Views: 1,242
  • first trip out 003.JPG
    first trip out 003.JPG
    573.7 KB · Views: 1,242
  • first trip out 004.JPG
    first trip out 004.JPG
    544.4 KB · Views: 1,242
  • first trip out 005.JPG
    first trip out 005.JPG
    663.7 KB · Views: 1,242
  • first trip out 009.JPG
    first trip out 009.JPG
    772.4 KB · Views: 1,242
  • first trip out 011.JPG
    first trip out 011.JPG
    750 KB · Views: 1,242
  • first trip out 022.JPG
    first trip out 022.JPG
    672 KB · Views: 1,242
  • first trip out 021.JPG
    first trip out 021.JPG
    668.8 KB · Views: 1,242
  • first trip out 012.JPG
    first trip out 012.JPG
    767 KB · Views: 1,242
  • first trip out 022.JPG
    first trip out 022.JPG
    672 KB · Views: 1,242
Looked like a nice outing.
I gotta say it...
I don't wear a life jacket either but I would feel real bad if anything would happen to my kids.
I know you would to.
I just kinda scares me thats all,not meaning to preach and sorry if I over stepped my bounds.

Same as Zum.I don't know much about the boating laws in NC,but if you have a child under 7yrs in your boat here in MO,they had better be in a life jacket suited for them.MO State Water Patrol doesn't mess around,hefty fine for a violation.Be careful out there.

I am definitely with you guys on tthe baby being too young. Though, I felt the same way but my wife played it of course I checked to make sure the boat had no leaks and this and that really it was just me and a buddy of mine but my wife and kid came to see it's first launch and so I took them for a quick joy ride that lasted less then five minutes and dropped them back at the dock. I also opened it up just a clean cruise. Just thought it would be a nice memory taking my first born out with me on my first voyage in my new/old boat :) definitely won't be putting her on again til she's 1-2 though it was nerve wrecking. So don't worry I already have a size 1 1/2 year old snoopy life jacket just waiting for her to grow into for next spring. And Thanks albright it's been a long time coming but hopefully the motor and boat stay as smooth as today for years to come and there will be plenty of cncba tournaments in our future!

I decided I like to fish more then I liked to modify my boat. I did do a few subtle modifications. Redid my front deck with some diamond aluminum plate. Added some rodsavers. Upgraded my trolling motor from a 33lb to a 50lb minnkota. Added a garmin 160 on the trolling motor which works incredible well... not much to report but I have caught a ton of fish and love my new deck set up I have really started to make this boat my own.. on this boat but I thought Id add a few pics...

Attachments

• new stuff 009.JPG
    new stuff 009.JPG
    775 KB · Views: 895
  • new stuff 012.JPG
    new stuff 012.JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 895
  • my bass tracker 024.JPG
    my bass tracker 024.JPG
    807.2 KB · Views: 895

Latest posts