my first motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pemnuts

Reaction score
This craigslist posting got my attention.
2 cycle, 3.5 hhp Suzuki outboard motor. Less than 10 hours of use. Long shaft. Weed cutter. Runs well. Excellent condition $300

I called the seller, and was told it was made in 1989 or 1990.. and it hadn't been run in years, but last year they did get it running. I thought this might be a bad sign.. I thought i was going to look at and perhaps buy a non-running motor, but they had a bucket of water underneath the motor and invited me to start it up, second pull it ran.. ran well indeed. As this was my first motor, I had really no clue what i was looking for.. and any common sense didn't apply to me simply because the motor ran,<shock> and sliding the shift lever into gear emptied their small bucket so i shut it off, definately impressed at how wet the drywall in the garage got because the bucket was so small. After looking it over in general, it appeared to be in nice shape, even through the smoke filled garage, it looked awesome. I paid the lady, and when i got home, put it into another bucket, much larger this time. I noticed that the pee hole kinda spit the water out, not a stream of any sort to speak of, just spitting out water. I am not very sure if it needs a new impeller, or if their might be blockage?
We did take the motor cover off, and my buddy said look how clean it is inside.. i looked, still impressed at the fact it started right up again. I did notice, there does not seem to be a air filter of any sort.. is this normal? any suggestions on making something work - as the cover sits really close to the carb intake.?
I'm sure there's a ton of things that should happen before i take it out for a run.. but since this is my first motor, what should i do first? the lack of an air cleaner is bothersome..
Pem

Well I don't not know Suzuki's at all but I do know there are many outboards that came without air boxes or silencers over the carb. Next pull the tell tale line off (pee hole) while engine is running and see if water is shooting out of the block. If not then the impeller is shot or there is a blockage between the impeller and the tell tale. If it pees out the block fine the the tell tale line is pinched or blocked. If it hasn't ran in years there is a good chance the impeller could be bad. (dry's up and deteriorates)

Also it looks like suzuki stopped making the 3.5hp in 84'