My G3 1548 modification project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
I bought an aluminum all-welded 2005 G3, 1548 with a 1997, 25hp Yamaha pull start tiller motor and new galvanized trailer. This combo was such a great deal I could not pass it up, only $2,500.00 and it looked almost brand new. The boat had only been used twice in last 2 years. Knowing I was not going to keep the Yamaha pull start and wanting to go to a electric start, either a 30, 35, or 40hp motor, I sold the new looking 25hp Yamaha and bought a electric start 1996, 40hp Johnson. I went to the G3 Boats website for the basic floor plan of my boat for planning my boat. I went into Microsoft Paint on my computer and drew the plan I wanted. The first mod I did, was add a 40lb hand operated Minn-Kota to the front deck with a Big Foot off and on switch on the deck. The back deck had two areas that was insulation only. I contacted approx four G3 dealers about cutting the insulation out and making storage in there, and they all said no problem, because it has plenty already. Added a door on each side. Added a door to the center section of the back deck almost to the motor also. Covered all with gray carpet including the back deck. Added two seat holders on the back deck, one in the middle and other on side for driver. The bottom already had ¾” plywood with brown carpet, so I added a piece of ½” plywood covered with my gray carpet on top and screwed it down, extra weight makes for better ride and noise control also. The 40hp handles this boat real well. Installed a water/fuel separator on the transom and all new Ethanol gas compliance hose and squeeze bulb for the Ethanol gasoline problems, Cut 3/8” plywood for the sides that covered up the exposed ribs of the boat and covered with carpet. Built a large side “tackle box” 43” long X 20” wide in front of console that extends to the front deck. Will install Rod Savers on the non folding area for my 7’ rods. Built a pedestal in the center of the boat for passenger when traveling to and from hot spots. I use two seats that we move around in the different positions as needed, also have one seat mounted on front deck that is covered with gray carpet also. I had asked for any ideas on a wood console from 4 other boating forums, and no answers, so I designed and built my own for mounting my GPS and fish finder and switches for bilge pump and navigation lights and for a 6-gallon gas tank underneath. Mounted bow and rear navigation light. Mounted a terminal block for all the wiring needed on the side by the console. Added the tall trailer light poles and the side bunks for easy drive on loading. The cooler is not mounted, therefore it can be moved from area to area as needed. I love my “new” boat and hope to catch lots of fish and have plenty of pleasure from it, see pics below.

Attachments

• my.boat1548VBW..jpg
    my.boat1548VBW..jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,542
  • My boat floor plan.JPG
    My boat floor plan.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,542
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,542
  • pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,542
  • side.console.jpg
    side.console.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,542
  • con6.jpg
    con6.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,542
  • console1.jpg
    console1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,542
  • console2.jpg
    console2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,542
  • console3.jpg
    console3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,542
  • console terminal block.jpg
    console terminal block.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,542
  • console.new paint.jpg
    console.new paint.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,542
  • boat12.jpg
    boat12.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,542
My G3 1548 modification project continued. see pics below

Attachments

• tackle box..drawing.jpg
    tackle box..drawing.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,522
  • tackle box3.jpg
    tackle box3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,522
  • tackle box4.jpg
    tackle box4.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat7.jpg
    boat7.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat8.jpg
    boat8.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat9.jpg
    boat9.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat10.jpg
    boat10.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat11.jpg
    boat11.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat14.jpg
    boat14.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,522
  • boat17.jpg
    boat17.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,522
  • extended lights2.jpg
    extended lights2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,522
  • extended lights.jpg
    extended lights.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,522
  • bunk.board.jpg
    bunk.board.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,522
Sorry about the reverse order of the pics, that is not the way i entered the pics. I wanted to show before and after, but now it show after and before, oh well you can see the progress, just start from the bottom, LOL
Hope yall can get some ideas from my "new boat"
All doors are made from 1" cedar and have cross backing on them, and console was repainted to tray and match the boat, color is still off.

Another addition a few days ago. Added two marine push button switches to my console, one starts the big motor and the other kills the power. The kill power switch has a black rubber boot over it to identify the kill switch and its on the far right side. I run all wires from big motor on the same route as the main power source wires to the console. Now I get ready to fire off, just push, start and I'm gone, when stopping the big motor, just push the black switch. No more stretching and leaning back to start or stop, just push the buttons. Still working on wire placement.

Attachments

• push bottons1.jpg
    push bottons1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,397

Latest posts