my lowe 1436 duck boat project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleblanc

Reaction score
Guys i am new to the site and figured i could just start my build thread i hope some of you give me pointers along the way. i have zero money in this setup, this is a budget duck boat build. to start i was given a suzuki dt15 a 1989 model. and another person gave me a 1436 lowe that needed the entire transom replaced from falling out of the truck. i am using one of my old jetski/jon boat trailers i had in my barn. the plan with this rig is to mainly use in the marsh where we deer and duck hunt, i will also do some crappie fishing with it from time to time. eventually i would like to upgrade it to a 25hp outboard or a 18hp copperhead surface drive later on. i will try and post up photos of what i am starting with this weekend. but the plan for now is to cut the transom out and replace it with some new aluminum, and a section of channel so i wont have to put any wood back in it, while i have the transom off i am looking into building some floatation pods on the back to help with the weight since i am a heavier guy or possibly even a short hunt deck to the rear and this would allow the motor to run a little shallower. i would also like to remove the front seat and add some aluminum framing making a deck on the front large enough for my battery, tank, and some small items up front. i was thinking about 3ft - 4ft. then i would like to put some foam in between the ribs and come over it with a floor. and mount a seat in the front. also make a space in the front for my 48-52qt cooler. then a stencil camo paint job to finish it off. later on i will build a pop up duck blind to be used with this boat.

my biggest concern was taking out the front seat and losing the rigidity of the boat but i think if i come back with the deck far enough it will make it solid again. for the most part we will be hunting two people from this boat and maybe 3 on occasion. i will add a couple spuds for when we are hunting to help keep it stable.

please let me know what you guys think of some of these mods. thanks. i am thinking the hunt deck would turn out better then the pods.

https://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=499172&page=4 this is an extremely large example of what i am thinking of adding. i wouldnt go more then 12in setback on the section and angle it up about 5-6degrees on the bottom like they do with the pods. and maybe bring the motor in some in the middle.

I think you are going to be asking an awful lot out of a 14' x 36" hull with that bucket list of add on's.

Two people in a 1436 is going to interesting, especially if one is a big fella. Three is going to be outrageous bordering on unsafe. Add in the top hamper (camo framework), cooler, front and rear deck and I don't see it working out well. I think a 1436 could be setup nicely as a one man floating blind although I'd toss the cooler for a plywood framed box with a bag of ice in your front storage area. A 1448 is doable for 2, 16'+ for three.

A 1436 is little more than a stubby canoe as far as stability goes. My suggestion for you is go splash it and play with it some before you start cutting stuff apart. Check the stability running fast and slow on hard turns, check for back splash issues on deceleration and other dumb stuff while empty. Big guy in the back is a big issue in determining a safe working capacity. Finally load it out as you want it and sit in it for a while in your driveway making bang bang noises thinking about different scenarios and what you'll have to do when (not if) bad stuff happens... Then if you are happy take it out loaded for a pleasure check ride, anchor up and go through your hunting routine to see what'll work well and what won't work well.

Good luck.

hey man thanks for the reply. we are currently duck hunting two people out of a welded 1248 (was a 1648 that was cut) with 25hp two stroke and gear. on occasion we will have three people in that boat to get to deer stands and such and some times even three people and a deer in the boat. which is wear it really gets unsafe when adding the weight of our gear.

i may have over stepped with this one wanting to put a pop up blind. but thats just wishful thinking. this isnt my first 1436 but will be my first one in some time. they are def not as stable as a 48 by any means.

you stated a back deck i am not adding a back deck. i am cutting the back part of the transom out because its to damaged to repair. the transom will then be welded back on and a set of floatation pods would be added back roughly making this thing float like a 15-1636. was doing some calculations tonight the full extension on the rear with the hunt deck would be hard to get right and not hinder the boats performance. so the plan stands as new transom with pods about the size of the small beavertail pods and possibly a mini jacker jack plate for keeping me running shallow.

the front deck i measured tonight would be from the bow to about the second rib back in the boat. just putting the tank and battery under there would really help even the weight out plus a small handle controlled trolling motor ( i would take it off when not fishing).
if i take the front seat out i would be putting my seat base in about the same spot. and again with my ice chest up near the front doubling as a seat if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEj3O1JWr08 i really like this setup but with a smaller front deck and keeping the rear bench seat in.

https://www.mudmotortalk.com/mmt_v2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44344 also another rig i really like it runs really well with two people and that mud motor.

here is the photos of what i am starting with.
photo33_zps8be3bb5a.jpg

photo23_zpsf1a099ec.jpg

photo13_zps4cea58fd.jpg

If you want to put a blind on it go with a scissor rig. That wouldn't add much weight but I would be cautious when building decks. My buddy had a 1436 and built a deck out of wood and it added to much weight and was a little sketchy out in the pamlico. You can get away with adding more weight if you don't plan on taking it out in rough water but flotation pods would help out a lot and would look pretty cool too

Latest posts