My secret to a happy marriage - Do what the wife wants

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
I really like to go fishing. I also figured that if I just take off to go fishing the wife will feel left out, neglected, dejected, ignored and hold some sort of resentment towards my actions. So I have it all figured out. Whenever the weather is right and the mood strikes me that I want to go fishing, I just hang around with my wife. Everywhere she goes, I'm right there. If she's sitting in the living roome reading a book, I sit right next to her. If she gets up and walks into the kitchen, there I am again. Not talking, just being there with her, you know... "spending time with her". Pretty soon she gets frustrated and says "Why don't you go fishing or something"? I respond with, "If that's what you want, fine". I caught 56 Salmon and several dozen Crappie/Blue Gills this past summer thanks to "Our together time". :lol:

Best post ever!

:lol:

My wife is in constant communication with the fish gods. A few years back I had one of my often "unannounced" fishing trips planned. This means that I call my fishing buddies a few days in advance, plan a big trip but fail to inform the wife. The day before the trip she is busy making plans for me to do "stuff"* with her. I plan a strategy, I will do a bunch of chores on the honey-do list so she will not be as pissed when I am not around to do all of the great "stuff" she has planned.

I spend a whole day busting my butt cleaning, fixing and maintaining. Heck, I changed the brakes on her car, mopped and waxed the floor and even put all my clothes away! She is very surprised when she gets home and sees how much I accomplished. I then tell her that I need a break and I am going fishing (actually going Tuna fishing for a few days!!!!)

She gives me permission, despite the short notice, and her blessing. Turned out to be one of the best trips ever, we bailed tuna all day and ended up with well over 100 fish including a few in the 50 lb class. I get back and she declares that my fishing skill had nothing to do with the great catching, it was the fact that I made her happy first.

Now, if I sneak away to fish and she is inclined to complain about the fact that spend more time fishing then doing anything else (and, when I try to explain to her all of the prep work that a day of fishing involves she tells me that that just means more wasted time) she reminds me that she can put a curse on the fishing at any time.

It is true, she has put the curse on a few trips and the fishing sucked! Most recently she cursed my nightly catfish excursions last summer and I had the worst luck. Every trip that I do the chores 1st I catch bigger and better fish!. I have been doing a lot of chores lately so this summer will be even better.

* My wife defines "stuff" as such fine activities as shopping, horrible chick movies and musicals.

thats what ive been doing for years and it works great. my wife even figured out my methods and it still works. lol. all it takes is to be a little nicer than normal and she gets weirded out and off i go. arent women wonderful after you figure out a good strategy to play them.

It makes it a whole lot easier when your wife is also your fishing partner :wink:

4-16-07 City Park. Bait: Zoom Super Fluke (Baby Bass)
4-16-07__12inch_closeup.jpg

4-16-07_12inch.jpg