Need a decent color fish finder...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter

Reaction score
I've been looking at the elite 4x and 5x. Bouncing between standard sonar and dsi.

I obviously like the idea of the bigger screen, but not the price :) I don't need GPS but I'm torn between standard sonar and dsi. I've read the differences but still not sold on one or the other. I mainly bass fish and almost constantly on the TM so I'm guessing DSI but also catfish and saltwater fish.

If anyone has a decent color fish finder they willing to sell and ship or any opinions/suggestions let me know. I'll be ordering one very very soon to have it installed by the 1st. Looking in the <$300 range.

P.S. has to display water temp too

Thanks fellas

I've been researching units as well, and it seems like dsi is great, but is more for identifying bottom/cover, not so much for finding fish. My research has led me to the Garmin units. They are supposed to be awesome color units. I might go for the echo 550 (around $350), but I might hold out/save for one of their new units that are going to be out soon with gps.

I don't actually use a "fish finder" to find fish anyway. I let my lure find em! Haha I only really use them as a depth and "structure finder" looking for grass, stumps, etc. I do care about baitfish clumps. maybe I use them wrong but just because it doesn't mark a fish doesn't mean I wouldn't cast there if you know what I mean. I haven't had much experience with quality fish finders though more like the original Gameboy

If it were me and I had to pick one or the other, I'd get 2d. Set up properly, I think it's more informative. Another benefit, is you can use it for verticl jigging and watch your bait. DSI won't give you good returns if your not moving. I don't know what your budget is but have you looked into the HB 587 HD DI combo?

Latest posts