Need help on painting...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskie Tamer

Reaction score
Hi im new to this forum and i just started a project. i have 65 alumacraft 14' i plan on making a nice little fishing boat out of. i started painting it on one side , i primed it and then hit it with a metal flake blue from dupli color and the paint didnt come out to smooth but that was expected do to it being metal flake. So i need to know where to go from here to get a nice high gloss out of it. Do i just hit with a lot of clear coat sand and buff, or do i sand and clear coat and sand some more? Can some one help me out...

I think that a top notch job would require several color coats with progressively finer sanding after each coat. For instance, spray coat 1, then sand with 400 grit. Put on coat 2, sand with 600. Coat 3, sand 800. I don't know the actual grits that you would need to use, I simply used those numbers to make my example. However, I would probably use close to those numbers if I were looking for a nice finish. After the final coat, I would sand with 1200-1500 grit sandpaper, clean very well, and spray on a coat of clear.

Latest posts