Need help wiring an hour meter and a tachometer...help pls

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMC

Reaction score
Hi to all,i'm new here...actually i'm new to boating period. We have a 2010 Lund WC14 with a 2010 Honda BF2 for a troller and as a main a 2011 Honda BF25.For the 25 Hp we (my wife and i) would like to hook up a Faria Hour Meter to help gauge the hours for maintenance use, but unsure on how to hook it up and where to...,now for the same motor and as vell for the 2 Hp we would like to hook up a tach (one each outboard) ,i would like a proper tach from Teleflex or Faria but same issue here...where and how would you hook one up to ?...is there a diagram or a sugestion from a pro here on this forum ?...i have come across Tiny Tach which is very simple to hook up but they are more like disposable...they have a sealed in battery and after about 5 years you throw it away...and buy another one.
Thank you,
Dan

Are either of your motors electric start? That's the first thing I need to know before I can tell you how to wire the hour meter(s).

For the Tachometers, there is an excitation, or tach signal, wire that comes from the CDI ignition pack. In a Suzuki O/B the wire is yellow or yellow with red stripe. I don't know what color they are on a Honda. You can check with the guys that work in the shop of many boat dealer/repair shops and they can look it up in their shop manuals and tell you what color to look for, for your particular engines.

tiny tac 's are great hr meter and tack .mount where its easy to read . 5 year battery . comes with instructions they are not all the same .call em to get the right one for your motor. some u can reset some u cant . tell him what u want . about 35+-bucks .10 ft leads are a little more .

timebak said:
Are either of your motors electric start? That's the first thing I need to know before I can tell you how to wire the hour meter(s).

For the Tachometers, there is an excitation, or tach signal, wire that comes from the CDI ignition pack. In a Suzuki O/B the wire is yellow or yellow with red stripe. I don't know what color they are on a Honda. You can check with the guys that work in the shop of many boat dealer/repair shops and they can look it up in their shop manuals and tell you what color to look for, for your particular engines.

Thank you guys for replies,
The 25 Hp Honda BF25 (2011) is electric start and the other Honda BF2 (2010) is pull start.If you guys can help me further or have access to a service manual i would appreciate it, again a big Thank you.
Dan