Need help wiring up the light circuit on a Suzuki Tach

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RivRunR

Reaction score
Need some help from someone with electrical skills!

The tach is already wired up and working. Now I'd like to get the lighting circuit working so the tach lights up when I turn on the nav lights. I was thinking this would be as easy as jumping a lead from the nav light switch over to the tach (and maybe it is that simple) but the TACH INSTRUCTIONS aren't very clear (see #8)...especially since I don't have an "instrument lighting circuit."

Even tho' it seems like it should be simple, I just can't seem to figure this out. For example, if you zoom in on the diagram it appears that there are 2 blade terminals for the tach light, but the description on the diagram is exactly the same for both (???).

Anyway, all I'm trying to do is get the tach to light up when the nav lights are on, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

From those directions, it seems that the green-orange wire will go to the positive (power) lead. On your Nav. light switch, you should have power coming into it and when the switch is turned on, the power will go through the switch and out the other lead to your Nav. lights. You need to put that green-orange wire on the wire that goes from your switch to the Nav. light. This will supply power to the Tach only when the Nav. lights are on. I hope that makes some kind of sense. The directions say that you don't need a ground wire, so that should be pretty easy to do. Some places sell dual spade fittings so you can hook up both wires without cutting or soldering.