Need help with boat repair...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxAgHntr

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new member but have lurked around here for a while looking at ideas and so forth and am now in need of some tinboat expertise.

I have some holes in the bottom of my 1872 from corrosion. I have pulled the rear seat pods and foam out and found the source but am not 100% how to proceed from here. Here are some pics...please advise. Thanks!

WV

tig welding is the ideal repair method

places that install signs & awnings typically have a tig welder, you might be able to grab one of their staff to do a quick side job fairly cheap. not always tho, one sign place around here quoted me $150 for a simple repair on my bow so I took it to a marine fabrication shop that builds custom T-tops, leaning posts, & does propeller repair. they fixed me up for $50

Going out on limb without seeing .But if those are corrosion holes its almost impossible to fill in cause the metal is so thin ..Most time a metal patch over the whole area and a weld around the parimiter...Tig is great but a good mig welder that does lots alu..can make short work of it

if the hole that my eyes see are the holes in question, im seeing some really big holes...if they are bigger tha a quarter inch, id get to a welder...holes in aluminum are very easy to fix for a good welder...just use a steel piece of angle iron or plate as a backer and the aluminum builds right up...aluminum wont weld to steel...then just grind it back smooth...i like to use the flapper discs on a 4 inch grinder..

i had that problem but my holes were much smaller.... the wet foam was my culprit also...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324108#p324108 said:
cva34 » 29 Jul 2013, 13:50[/url]"]Going out on limb without seeing .But if those are corrosion holes its almost impossible to fill in cause the metal is so thin ..Most time a metal patch over the whole area and a weld around the parimiter...Tig is great but a good mig welder that does lots alu..can make short work of it

good point... if the material in the area of the holes is really thin, then it may be better to cut the section out and weld in a flush patch...

either way, take it to a good welding shop, and let them look at it...

** i patched mine by placing a patch from the inside with epoxy, and then once cured, filled in holes with jb weld on the outside... my holes were smaller than that though...

Thanks guys, I gotta guy up here near me this morning who said he'd donor for me real cheap! I'll post the results soon hopefully.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324157#p324157 said:
TxAgHntr » 46 minutes ago[/url]"]Krs, yeah and a little to the outside as well. Why?
Someone asked a little while back..Were the bunk boards /carpet in that area? Cause looking at it thats my guess too..Treated wood and carpet or sitting in soil or battery area or water stood my my2c