Nets!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
Up until now I have never had the need for a net in MY boat.

So, educate me!

What do you have, and why?

Why I ask? Going to Kentucky Lake next month and I expect to catch some serious slabs, and we all know Crappie have paper mouths. So I figure I will need a net.

I also ask, because there isn't a converstaion about nets yet. So lets get one going.

What do you have, or wish you had and why?

:fishing2:

:postpics:

Ahab, much much is that little doggy in the window?
Looks like a pretty cool net.

Floating, yea, big plus and with my butter fingers not a bad idea.

:twisted: I always carry a NET. The bigger the better!!! Helps me haul in the big ones, including this 24lb carp....

Cedarvillecarp001.jpg

I bought a net with about a four foot handle because my small boat is a little tippy if you lean over the side to grab a fish. I found out that being a hollow metal handle it fills with water and gets all over the boat. I filled the handle with expanding foam and now no more water gets in the handle plus now it floats. For 15 dollars it's perfect

i like a thin nylon net with big holes allows you go through the water quickly. i actaully was able to lunge and get under a bass that came off my b.i.l hook as we were trying tto net him.
my handle colapses down to which is handy.

Plain old medium sized net made of aluminum and cotton (I think) net, it is old but it has always worked for me and I usually don't replace stuff that still works good. I might try to find some foam and fill the handle though just to make it float.
Tim

I like that expanding foam idea for several reasons.
I'm cheap and a DIYer. :mrgreen:

Anybody have one of those collapsing nets? The kind the fold back into the handle. How do you like them?
Concern being I too have a small boat and dont have the room for the net end.

I have a net but I have never used it. Normally I lip the fish, or use an imitation boga grip for the toothy critters. Then one time I snagged a huge carp in the back with a crank bait. I didn't care about the fish, but I wanted my bait back and I almost didn't get it. A net would have helped a lot, so I got a cheap one a the local farm store. Still waiting to catch a fish big enough to use it.

Have a folding/telescoping net from Wal-Mart that's the shizzle. folds and stows compact but opens and you can extend the handle to about 3-4 feet. Only need for crappie or trout so use rarely but it works well when you need it. Telescoping handle is a great feature.

Hanr3 said:
Ahab, much much is that little doggy in the window?
Looks like a pretty cool net.

Floating, yea, big plus and with my butter fingers not a bad idea.

Somewhere between too much for a friggin net but not enough so you do not lose that fish of a lifetime

I bought the biggest that would fit where I intended to store it. Ended up with one of the cheap ones from BPS (black net w/ red handle), costs around $12 or so and works just fine.

Loki Nets are the best American made net on the market! They cost more, but I have had the same Loki net for 15 years and it is still in great shape. They are tough to find. I don't think you will find them at any of the big box stores. I got mine at a local tackle shop.

https://www.lokinets.com/library/LokiNets_Catalog_Web_1277916951.pdf

MY favorite in my 14' tin is the TECH4SH it is a great little net.

I have a frabil orange colored one that colapses into the handle. It rocks!!!! I got it for $60 new so it isnt cheap but it takes less room than a rod and folds open quick. Highly recomended on a small tin!!!!! I dont know what size mine is but i think its the smallest. I figure even a big northern all i need to get is half the fish in it. It will hold any walleye or bass just fine.

You can see mine along the floor in this pic

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337002930.718399.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337002930.718399.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 961
Beckmans net are one of the best made and hold up the the riggers of salmon fishing but for my smaller nets are $25 nets you can pick up anywhere.

The only time I carry a net is if were going Crappie fishing. I use my bogo grips for everything else. Takes up less room in the boat.

What netting does everyone perfer Nylon or rubber? I heard rubber is better, hooks arent suppose to get hung up plus its suppositly easier on the fishes body. Wouldnt rubber dry rot over time?

shamoo said:
What netting does everyone perfer Nylon or rubber? I heard rubber is better, hooks arent suppose to get hung up plus its suppositly easier on the fishes body. Wouldnt rubber dry rot over time?

I like rubber and I have found everything you said to be true about mine. I've only had it three years, so don't know if dry rot is going to be a problem.

Latest posts