new 2013 alumacraft 1648 mv - project finished - for now!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshKeller

Reaction score
Picked this up today and will be starting on decking tomorrow. Does everyone pretty much frame the front deck with lumber and lay the deck on top of that, or are there ways of attaching angle to the front deck and middle seat and let the plywood sit on that?

Has my 25 hp merc and 65 lb minn kota on it currently, but Im in negotions for a used 50/35 jet.

IMAG04351.jpg

IMAG0434.jpg

IMAG0433.jpg

Nice boat! There are many examples of both and especially alum angle. Most peeps attach between decks/benches with rivets or weld. Do a quick search and you should see many posts.

i think for the time being, im going to just build a wood frame so it can be easily removed with no remaining holes if i decide to make changes.

I took the boat to my mechanic this morning to help me rivet the trolling motor bracket onto the front deck. That convinced me that rivets will be plenty strong enough, so I set out to tractor supply and bought $50 worth of aluminum angle iron to construct a deck frame. Then went to lowes and got some 23/32" plywood, hinges, and some various screws and stuff. Coated the plywood with fiberglass resin to waterproof it, and started designing and building my deck. Heres the first days results. Needless to say, I dont mess around and Im not being paid by the hour. I weighed everything I put in, and so far (less batteries/trolling motors/gas motor), I've added 78 pounds to the boat.

IMAG04361.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG04411.jpg

I really like the back deck how its split. Im going to create a rear casting deck so It has a fixed middle, and the front and rear fold. The rear for getting gas/putting in the drain plug, and the front for when operating the tiller steer.

IMAG0438.jpg

little better picture.

IMAG04422.jpg

Just need to figure out where to mount a seat base now, As I may have made the compartment a bit too large

JoshKeller said:
Just need to figure out where to mount a seat base now, As I may have made the compartment a bit too large
That ole hind sight is 20/20 ain't it? :lol: Looks like it's time for mod 1 revision 1.

JMichael said:
JoshKeller said:
That ole hind sight is 20/20 ain't it? :lol: Looks like it's time for mod 1 revision 1.
Josh, have you thought about placing the seat in front of hatch? Right about where the foot controller is in previous deck pic. Once the TM is down, you'll have plenty of room to move around.

panFried said:
JMichael said:
JoshKeller said:
Josh, have you thought about placing the seat in front of hatch? Right about where the foot controller is in previous deck pic. Once the TM is down, you'll have plenty of room to move around.

That is what Im going to do. I really only use the seat to brace myself in heavy waves, or to rest while switching spots on an electric only lake. Of course now I'll need to redo my aluminum frame a little, as I have a piece of angle going straight up the middle. I plan on cutting the middle brace at the seat, connecting a piece length wise between the 3, then making a square shape around the pedestal to connect to the front bracket on the front deck. sounds complicated, but it should take about 10 minutes.

Sounds like a plan, better now before you get too far along. I'm doing my design now. My boat does not have a nice mod layout, so I have to design carefully.

does anyone know of any molded trim to put on that front lip? I also found a few offset seat poles, so that will help with my base issue.

just a few more pics of the rest of the build..

Redid the aluminum frame to accommodate the seat pedestal base.

IMAG04462.jpg

Rear deck completed. Its split in thirds, with the front and back piece being 24" wide, and the middle being 4" wide. The middle section is screwed down, which allows the back to be opened for getting gas and putting in the drain plug, the front opens to allow sitting sideways for operating the tiller steer.

IMAG04472.jpg

One of two humminbird 797 side imaging units. gps puck is on the back bench, and both units are interlinked.

IMAG04482.jpg

Front section of the back deck opened to show the aluminum angle iron used to keep the gas tank from moving and to tidy up the wiring to the bilge pump. Also note the gps puck.

IMAG0456.jpg

Flattend out a scrap piece of aluminum angle and bent it at an angle to make a bilge pump bracket so I didnt have to put any holes near the bottom of the boat.

IMAG04552.jpg

two group 24 batteries wired in 24v with minn kota 5 x 2 on board charger located just in front of the front bench seat.

IMAG04581.jpg

Done and ready to fish.

IMAG0457.jpg

I have an Alumacraft 1650 I am getting ready to start setting up. I am having trouble deciding how to set up my trailer it didn't come with the boat. How is yours supported? How long are the bunks? Are they on edge or flat? Any help on this would be very appreciated. Thanks.

I got your same split aft boat from Ed's and have been lurking for ideas for months.
After reading RiverBottom's mod and consulting an aluminum fabricator, I almost gave up cause I am lazy and cheap.
That brings me to some questions cause your mod is inspiring to this lazy dog.

1. Are the vertical supports necessary? I mean, they look kinda small compared to cross-beams. It sure would be nice to just keep the underneath free for stowing and the dog shade. The one major change I am considering is just leaving two openings in front of the middle bench for the wife and dog to sit facing forward.
2. Are you happy with the riveting?
3. How did you cut the aluminum angle?
4. Is the lumber too heavy? Or would the seats not hold properly.
5. Where did you buy the front motor mount?

Same here as Krypto...great job. I just picked up an 1985 and just can't make up my mind on the front deck. Pull it all the way back to the bench or leave some space. Looks awesome.

CFH, marked up this diagram for the front.
Would these shelves help with laying rods or would they just get in the way?

Attachments

• mv-1648-deck.jpg
    mv-1648-deck.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 777