New Guy Project ! !

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of our boats are out in the elements and are going to be exposed to moisture frequently. For that purpose you need to coat all the wood surfaces with a few coats of spar urethane.

Use exterior grade plywood for the decks - but you will still have to treat it - exterior grade does not mean waterproof. You can use 3/4 inch if you want but 1/2 is plenty for most situations.

If you can afford it use aluminum for the framing. If not just use whatever dimensional lumber you feel comfortable with, though 2x2 is adequate and will save you half the weight vs. 2x4...

Jdholmes said:
All of our boats are out in the elements and are going to be exposed to moisture frequently. For that purpose you need to coat all the wood surfaces with a few coats of spar urethane.

Use exterior grade plywood for the decks - but you will still have to treat it - exterior grade does not mean waterproof. You can use 3/4 inch if you want but 1/2 is plenty for most situations.

If you can afford it use aluminum for the framing. If not just use whatever dimensional lumber you feel comfortable with, though 2x2 is adequate and will save you half the weight vs. 2x4...

that is very helpful thanks so much that was just with i need !

:?: one more thing what would be the best wire to use and the best way to connect it properly to things for example, my new fish finder/gps and trolling motor and what not

VT-Bass13 said:
:?: one more thing what would be the best wire to use and the best way to connect it properly to things for example, my new fish finder/gps and trolling motor and what not

I use marine grade tinned wire....three plex for my bilge pumps and duplex for all other accessories. Depending on the gauge of the wire I would suggest the appropriate sized heat shrink butt connectors. Then wrap the connection with Rescue Tape.....works very good in my experience.

bigwave said:
VT-Bass13 said:

I use marine grade tinned wire....three plex for my bilge pumps and duplex for all other accessories. Depending on the gauge of the wire I would suggest the appropriate sized heat shrink butt connectors. Then wrap the connection with Rescue Tape.....works very good in my experience.

sweet !! thx

Do you know how to use/have access to a TIG welder?

The crack in the keel is easy to fix as long as you can weld aluminum.

No offense, but that would be my first priority.

Sasquatch said:
Do you know how to use/have access to a TIG welder?

The crack in the keel is easy to fix as long as you can weld aluminum.

No offense, but that would be my first priority.

i do no how to but i have not had any luck finding one, i dont really need to buy one so im trying to find one i can borrow. if not i was thinking about using JB Weld ? yes/no - good/bad ? ? idea

it not really that bad and does not leek into the boat.

I think the main issue with JB Weld is that it cracks. I've read it on here many times. You just don't want it to get worse. Did it have water that froze in there and burst? JB Weld would likely work, but I think you'll be happier with it welded - especially with more winters outside in it's future.

Vermontser said:
I think the main issue with JB Weld is that it cracks. I've read it on here many times. You just don't want it to get worse. Did it have water that froze in there and burst? JB Weld would likely work, but I think you'll be happier with it welded - especially with more winters outside in it's future.

no i got it for free of a friend and i think he just dragged it around a lot in and out of were he was fishing and putting it in the back of his truck, so it didnt freeze but that is helpful though

have the boat at a friends to have the hull welded up for $50 not bad and i also went to home depot today to get all my supplies for the project and i get.

i got ________

- 2 sheets of cdx plywood
- 20 feet of wire
- 1 piece of carpet, 5" wide X 12" long
- glue
- water seal
- wire shrink wrap
- a few other small things as well

The total = only 125 $ $ not bad at all

Latest posts