New here looking to buy my first boat...take a look, need

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlbob

Reaction score
This is a boat here in St.louis...

Seems a little pricey,BUT im just now trying to figure out what is and isnt a good ...Dad had an aluminum boat and dont want anything else.

Thanks

heres the link copy and paste.
stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/4308596957.html

be brutal guys i need to know what you think.

Attachments

• 17x48 115 h jet boat.jpg
    17x48 115 h jet boat.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,139
your right on the number i had in mind,4500 or so..i do fish on the rivers and in lots of different lakes..

No one..? I have been looking at his site for a long time and when i decided to go this route i was hoping for feedback from those that have been there done that.... :?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341605#p341605 said:
stlbob » 3 minutes ago[/url]"]No one..? I have been looking at his site for a long time and when i decided to go this route i was hoping for feedback from those that have been there done that.... :?
i saw that also on CL.. nice boat! alot of storage! not much you need to do to it, make him an offer of $4k, thats an old motor hanging off the back..

I would check the serial number on that motor with a dealer to be sure of the year model. I was thinking the 115 had become a V-block by the 80's. Even if it is a 1982 parts may be scarce if something happens to it. Plus if it is a 70's model with what they called a blind cylinder it takes a special shop that knows how to bore them things right to rebuild them. I'd take it out and run the crap out of it to make sure it seems right and still offer low to start. As far as the boat itself I'm not familiar with it. You can go to NADA.com and click on the consumer application and look up a lot of different brands of boats and get values there.

P.S. Just re-read the add and you want to get those treated wood bunk boards off the trailer and whatever treated wood he says is in the boat. The crap they use in the treated wood will leach thru that carpet and corrode the bottom of the hull. I know from a boat I have right now.

i saw that also on CL.. nice boat! alot of storage! not much you need to do to it, make him an offer of $4k, thats an old motor hanging off the back..

:shock: That's a $2000.00 drop in price!! Imho, If he presents that kind of counter offer to the seller,
I'll bet you that unless the guy is extremely desperate, he'll tell him to take a friggin' hike & slam the door in his face (I would).
No personal offense meant or implied at you ram rod.
In the end it all really depends on how badly you want his set up.
I'd offer him $5,000 if the set up is indeed all that & a bag of chips as they say..

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341612#p341612 said:
BloodStone » 43 minutes ago[/url]"]

:shock: That's a $2000.00 drop in price!! Imho, If he presents that kind of counter offer to the seller,
I'll bet you that unless the guy is extremely desperate, he'll tell him to take a friggin' hike & slam the door in his face (I would).
I'd offer him $5,000 if the set up is indeed all that & a bag of chips as they say..
that whole rig is 32yrs old, i dont think the guy will take 4k for it, but its a starting point for Bob, I'll call him and offer $3500,make Bob's offer look great!

I think its a pretty cool boat and from his description its tight, well built and well maintain but that still doesn't make the value at 6K. if it's everything he says, you water tested it, it runs perfect and you fell in love with it then I would offer $4500 and if you really wanted it, don't loose the deal for a few hundred but 5K would be the very very top.

Asking prices are asking prices, that doesn't mean that's what its worth.

Well i asked about the motor and if there is any paperwork.If it has just been redone i want proof of that..Have not heard back from him yet...

I really do appreciate the advise.I have had cple of rough years and things should be very soon going in the right direction.I didnt want to start looking at boats and knowing what is or isnt a good deal..if i educate myself now when things do go right i will know what im doing.BUT im not wasteing his time...

I will hit him up with another email,see if i can get a response..this boat will spend a lot of time on the Meramac,some on the ol' Miss up river from St.louis have a good friend who catchs monster cat..And a ton of crappie fishing all over..

Did anyone go to the link and take a look at all the pics..?

I like the looks of it and am digging the hull. I am worried about the age of the motor and if something were to go wrong with it. Price is at least $1k more than what I would pay.

Hey my first boat,is it unusaul for someone to ask about floating a boat and taking it out before buying it....
He seemed annoyed that i wanted to get the boat wet before i would consider buying it...?!

Did i ask to do something that folks selling boats dont do..??

Boats Ok. It's a 17 x 48 bottom like mine so it should handle pretty well but it won't be as stable as a wider hull.

Not digging the front deck structure. Looks like he built it too heavy or it's too flimsy with the wide supports.

00u0u_9QMkg1Bmjq4_600x450.jpg

Refer the pic, the hull looks like it drafts a good bit both front and rear.

00404_fQZTMk2uIcn_600x450.jpg

I'm curious what the guy would change about it.

Also be aware that with tax time he's pricing it high and I doubt he'll come down until spring hits. Personally I think he's fishing for a buyer, not really looking to sell.

I appreciate the feedback and what you said makes sense,he has it for sale but doesnt really want to sell it..

I also noticed how low it sat in the water,hence my asking about taking it out..

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341640#p341640 said:
stlbob » Today, 18:56[/url]"]Hey my first boat,is it unusaul for someone to ask about floating a boat and taking it out before buying it....
He seemed annoyed that i wanted to get the boat wet before i would consider buying it...?!

Did i ask to do something that folks selling boats dont do..??

Rule #1 don't buy a boat without testing period. Unless it's so dang cheap they're giving it away then make sure all titles are clear and ask for ID to match the names on the titles. I will not buy a used boat from an individual or dealer unless I've tested it on the water. Now if the dealer wants to guarantee everything 100% for 90 days and put it in writing then OK but otherwise forget it. How else are you going to know if the boat leaks, if the motor runs like it should, if the jet system works, trolling motor, etc. He doesn't want to run it on the water I'd tell him thanks but no thanks. I've worked my azz off for my money and don't have extremely large amounts of it so I'm careful about how I spend it. By the way I've sold several boats and have always offered to take the buyer out on the water no matter what the weather is like. Only way I won't is if the water isn't safe. Then I'll offer to hold their name and the boat until the river settles down and then make a test run. By the way a motor can run good on a set of muffs but turn into a real dog when put in the water and some back pressure is put on the exhaust.
BloodStone said:

You'd probably go into shock if you'd look that boat and motor up on NADA if it's even in the book and see what it is actually worth. I'd say the whole rig about $1200. I don't know how the insurance laws are where you guys are located but here all a insurance company has to pay you in case of a total accident or theft is what NADA value is unless you have an agreed upon value with your insurance company performed by a certified appraiser. So let's say you buy this rig for $5000 smackers and Joe NumbNuts runs over it with his POS car that's only worth $500. His insurance if he has any only has to pay you whatever book value is or your insurance the same. If you have to borrow money for the purchase you're hung with a remaining note and nothing to show for it. Better yet go to your local bank or credit union and see how much they'll loan you on that rig. Guarantee you that you'll find out real quick like what it's worth.

I think you are wise to be shopping now...

but

I'd save the buying until the end of March or middle of April on through June.

That's a whole bunch of money for that boat...especially in the Mid-west in February.

I'm presuming you have more time than money. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never bought a used boat before but I would think it would be like buying a used car. You would want to take it for a spin. It's not like we are talking $50 here, we are talking $5000 something. I would blow this joker off.

somethings up he isnt even answering my emails now..I will look up the BB on the set up..I know about what i have in it vs what its worth.I had a hot rod Civic and got ran over by a Kenworth dump truck the car looked like a waded up piece of foil.All i got was blue book which was less than half of what i had just in the engine...

Yeh if the guy doesn't want to play I would move on,

If the guy doesn't have enough confidence in the boat to demo it for you then theirs probably a problem. Just take your time, you will find the right one for the right price.

Latest posts