New life for an old Smoker Craft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since owning this boat it has been plagued with minor leaks from a row of bad rivets that hold the floor down to the bottom of the boat. I decided to replace the bad rivets and apply a heavy layer of Coat-It to hopefully seal it up for good. I cant wait to get the boat back on the trailer once this crap dries and start building the new decks. Here are the pics.

Well I hate how this goo looks but hopefully my boat is waterproof now :lol: Atleast its blue again =D> CANT WAIT to start building the decks and storage once the bottom dries enough to put it back on the trailer. I hope that bu Wednesday it will be good and dry.

Hey Edge,

Project looks good! What size and type rivets did you use ...and did you ever use or talk to anyone who has used Coat-it before?

clamman said:
Hey Edge,

Project looks good! What size and type rivets did you use ...and did you ever use or talk to anyone who has used Coat-it before?

Thanks, I used 3/16 rivets of various lengths depending on how thick of layers/ floor. I used 1/4 and 5/16 on a couple of well warn holes. As for the "Coat-it" we all use it on our driftboats out here in the northwest and we beat them hard on some rocks and it holds up well. Its pure he!! to apply but tuff as nails when it sets up. DO NOT get it on anything you dont want it on cause it aint coming off without a fight.

More progress, framework is actually pretty light. Im laying out battery hatches, live well hatch, fuel tank/bilge hatch, bow storage and some tackle storage areas. The front and rear will have full decks with a foot wide bench down both sides that will have rod storage inside. I ordered "bass boat seats" and Ill be dumping a ton of interior down lights. Cant wait to fish this thing!!

More progress, most of the frame is done, rough cut all the decking. Now I can cut in all of the hatches and trim everything so that the there is clearance for the carpet to wrap the edges.

Hey Edge,

I see you have a power drive on the bow. How do you like it? Have you had any problems with it? I am looking into getting one for this upcoming season, and not sure if I want to buy used or new. I can get a 45lb thrust 48" shaft new for around the same price as a used 55lb thrust with a 54" shaft. Although I don't need the longer shaft, the extra power would be nice. I have just heard if the unit gets wet it could not work properly especially the foot pedal and am leaning toward a new one with warranty. Just wondering how you like your power drive?

atuck593 said:
Hey Edge,

I see you have a power drive on the bow. How do you like it? Have you had any problems with it? I am looking into getting one for this upcoming season, and not sure if I want to buy used or new. I can get a 45lb thrust 48" shaft new for around the same price as a used 55lb thrust with a 54" shaft. Although I don't need the longer shaft, the extra power would be nice. I have just heard if the unit gets wet it could not work properly especially the foot pedal and am leaning toward a new one with warranty. Just wondering how you like your power drive?

I like it ok but it the foot pedal geeks out once in a while, most guys selling them on craigs list are upgrading for this reason. It has great power but turns really slow so it takes a long tome to go hard right to hard left. I would go with one of the all-terain style motors with the cable steering vs the electric. This is a good motor but it does geek out once in a while. :roll:

Ha...darn not what I wanted to hear. I am ok with the slow turning part i understand it will be slower than the cable driven ones. It the foot pedal that concerns me. I like them because I can control the motor from the back of the boat with the long cord, but they seem to crap out if they get wet or just after a few seasons of use and that seems to be the problem with them. Did you buy yours new? Thanks for the help.

I hear ya, I got this one so I could run it with the i-pilot remote. Its not a constant thing, just like every 2-3 times out on the lake you have to pick the pedal up, swear at it a little and then slam it down on the deck hard. Then it seems to work fine the rest of the day. I bought mine used from a guy that had his boat and truck repossessed. $200 was a bargain as it looked un-used. :lol:

Yeah... sometimes you can find good deals. I would like to ultimately get the i pilot or auto pilot but that version is just way out of my price range ($1000 ). I am going to look into the power drive more and now I am leaning to buy a new one that way it will have a warranty with it in case of the foot pedal issue.

no worries if you find a deal bud.... pedal is only $82 =D>

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PTHKQC/ref=asc_df_B001PTHKQC1914483?smid=A2YLYLTN75J8LR&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001PTHKQC

More saw dust on the floor, built a spot for a cooler and cut the rear hatch for the fuel tank/ battery storage. Built a spot for the chicken sh!t dog to sleep while i fish. Rod locker under the side benches ect.

Ive been at it all day and its starting to look like something. I have all the carpet on the decks and hatches time to start screwing all the cool stuff on. It looks kinda funky cause nothing is screwed in place yet but you get the idea :lol:

What do you guys think???

I used an entire package of stainless steel staples today(1000) along with 3/4 of a gallon of out door carpet glue. I hinged some of the hatches and got the rod lockers set up, dam they work slick. I can fit up to 8 foot rods on each side and not worry about damaging them. Live will is ready for plumbing and then buoyancy foam will be poured around it. Cooler fits well in its hatch and seems like I will have a ton of storage elsewhere. :D

your boat is looking great i would like more information about the livewell??

I am starting a project boat like this and i am contemplating a livewell but just doing research right now...

Another day of progress, Wifey went to a family outing with my monkey so I spent all day on the boat. :cheers:

Got more of the recessed hatch handles installed, added recessed interior lights on the sides of the rod storage so the center of the boat will be lit up. Starting to plan out wiring. Mounted the switch block only to change my mind... need a bank of 8 switches not 3 ](*,) Mounted the bow light and stearn light, both are pull outs that store in clips under the bow and stearn hatches. I installed the rear Lawrance for the back seater and added My daughters compass on the side( all boats must have a compass, just ask her). Floatation foam is tucked into a bunch of voids between hatches. Cooler dropped into its hole. Bow mount motor installed on the frond deck, Seat basses done.....

HOLY COW I NEED TO CLEAN THE SHOP NOW

Thanks "Bigwave"

I slowed it down a bit, been working 10-12hrs a day all week so not a whole lot of energy left for the boat. Picked up some more parts at limit out tonight and got to work on the plumbing. I basically did a full "mock up" now its time for a few days of plumbing and electrical so all the cool stuff works. Cleaned the shop, pulled the decks back out so I can finish it. I got my seat posts but the seats wont be here for a week ( stupid cabellas 12 day free shipping) Live well is about done but I need one more thru hull fitting, thin its time for some wiring. Glad im about done, got broke into at work and lost most of my tools, I ran $480 on my credit card so I could have enough tools to get by for the day. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Latest posts