new motor and boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Reaction score
just got a '80 evinrude 7.5hp, clean as a whistle and runs strong for 125 bucks, and wondering if any chance it would plane a 12' aluminum vee with some decking and a 160lb fisherman. found this site a week or so ago and it has me motivated for something more than my electric powered square transom canoe.

My guess is it will, provided your battery is in the bow. You are right around the cutoff for whether or not a 12 foot vee will plane, but my bets are yes, given your weight and the fact that you are alone.

Not a bad price at all for that little motor. Easily go 3 times that price around here.

I agree with bassboy.That motor in my area would be worthless.Many areas have banned 2 strokes.If your area hasn't banned 2 strokes,you found a diamond in the rough.

i have a 7.5 on my semi v and it has no problem getting on plane with with 3 people, but my boat hasnt been decked yet. i put my small gf up front, and the battery in the middle of the boat. if theres abunch of weight up front it will struggle alittle bit, and gets me soaken wet, but will eventually plane out.

thanks for the info and welcome, i thought it was a heck of a deal. Now how about decking that 12footer, not sure how wide it is at the floor, but am told it is almost 50 inches between the gunwales. would like to platform front seat to bow and back seat to transom, at seat height. and then floor the two middle sections as low as possible. 2x2s, and plywood. not much span between joists so thought i might get away with 1/2 inch plywood to save weight, maybe? will have 1 maybe 2 batterys in bow for TM, and 3gallon tank in rear. would also like to cut holes in top of seats to make storage hatches, would this hurt structural integrity as long as i leave enough all across the long edges to act as support between boatsides.

thanks and we'll see how it goes on a test run next week. need to see if the boat has any leaks anyway. question, i've changed the plugs, lower unit oil, cleaned up the carb a bit and made sure i was discharging water. anything else i should do as maintenence? had to order a carb linkage that was broken for the throttle, but moving it by hand it ran great. went ahead and ordered a water pump kit since i read about the impellers breaking, working now so will probably run it this season and replace it in the winter. also, is the correct mixture 50:1? i'll have pictures up soon as i figure out my girlfriends digital camera and computer thing.

grizzly said:
thanks and we'll see how it goes on a test run next week. need to see if the boat has any leaks anyway. question, i've changed the plugs, lower unit oil, cleaned up the carb a bit and made sure i was discharging water. anything else i should do as maintenence? had to order a carb linkage that was broken for the throttle, but moving it by hand it ran great. went ahead and ordered a water pump kit since i read about the impellers breaking, working now so will probably run it this season and replace it in the winter. also, is the correct mixture 50:1? i'll have pictures up soon as i figure out my girlfriends digital camera and computer thing.
wh y dont u fill the boat with water to see if theres any leaks

thought about filling it with water but i wanted to see how the motor worked in the water too, and lucky me had no leaks at all. motor did alright, sure it will be much better once that carb linkage arrives. kinda tough controlling throttle and timing with different hands.

grizzly said:
just to make sure, 50:1 mix sound right for this motor? i cant find anything online
i remember reading that thAT was right i think bassboy should know