New to me Yamaha F20

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsouce411

Reaction score
Morning all. Finally finished my quest to find a decently priced used 20hp to go on my new G3 Guide V14. The used market has been pretty slow with it being Winter here in Maine and the surrounding area. But as luck would have it a well taken care of 2010 F20 came up on Craigslist. Previous owner used as a kicker on their larger fish/ski boat for trolling, and wanted to downsize to something smaller and lighter. He estimated maybe 5 hours on the motor. Said mechanically everything was mint.

There was only one problem.... it was in Vermont! 3 hours one way! Can you say ROAD TRIP!

When I got there he had the motor on the stand over a tub and said "we have a problem". It wasn't pushing water out of the tell tale on it's own while in the tub. I'm figuring it's the impeller/water pump. A steady stream comes with the hose hooked to muffs or to the flush port. Not sure why the impeller would fail after such little use, unless it's due TO a lack of use and because it's sat for a while. Time will tell. Apart from that the motor starts, runs, and shifts beautifully.

After seeing just how clean the motor was, and well maintained, and not wanting to go home emptyhanded (especially after a 3 hour drive!) we finally agreed on a price and loaded it up. He wanted $2000, but I scored it for $1800.
20170224_084900.jpg20170224_084833.jpg

Planning on getting it on the stand today and seeing if the lines are just goobered up after sitting for a couple years without use, or if i'll have to drop the lower unit and replace the water pump. From all I've seen and read this is a pretty straight forward process, and the whole kit runs around $50-60.

All in all I feel like it was a good purchase. With temps in the 60's, even reaching 70 yesterday here in Maine, it feels like spring is coming and won't be long before ice out. Should be in good shape for open water!

Latest posts