New user New boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grossman

Reaction score
Hey All,

Been browsing the board for a while and finally have a reason to register and say hi. Picking my first boat up this weekend. My dads friend is selling it, he's a great guy who got a good deal on the package a couple years ago and is nice enough to pass the savings on to me.

2007 Smokercraft Alaskan 15'
2007 Mercury 15hp
2007 EZ loader trailer
$2500.00

I'm thinking of adding a front deck this winter from the bow bench forward. Obviously putting in some proper seats. And if I'm feeling ambitious possibly a floor and an electric motor up front. Was thinking of pedestal seats on the deck and somewhere in the middle. I might be getting ahead of myself though. (kinda excited) My only concern is that the 15 might not be enough power, espescially if I add the decking.

Attachments

• IMG_1762.JPG
    IMG_1762.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 673
Looks like an awesome rig! You might be right about the 15 not being enough motor for the boat with added weight. But it will sure be fun, might not be the fastest boat in the fleet but it will get you on the water!

Very nice purchase! Congratulations.

The seller put together a nice rig. You're right...you might be premature in planning modifications...that is a NICE hull and set up well. Perhaps, after you use it for a month or two, you may find what you bought is about perfect for what you use it for.

2007? That's like...brand new.

=D>

Fine looking rig you have there! Just to give you a little hint of the performance of the 15 HP on that rig...My 16' Ouachita semi-vee with a 1974 Johnson, 2 people, wood flooring, fishing gear, trolling motor and battery gets up to about 18 MPH. Keep in mine this is a 1974 engine, which is rated at the flywheel, not the prop, so is equivalent to maybe 12 Hp on a prop-rated motor. I would think yours will get in the low 20 MPH range easily.

Well, been fishing in the new boat all weekend. Its great. Yesterday the lake threw the roughest water it can create at me and the boat took it like a champ. Definetely not going to put the floor in. The bottom is flat enough. Front deck might still be a go. Top speed with the 15 on GPS was 23mph.

Only complaint is it doesn't troll quite slow enough. I do a slow troll for bass using rapalas and my lures were popping out of the water. Gonna add an electric next year. Does anybody know if the slow speed can be adjusted on these newer mercury's?

Latest posts