Newer 30hps

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
How are the newer 30hps compared to a 3 cyl Yamaha.,when it comes to planeing?
Wondering if i should buy a 2002 3cyl Yamaha or bite the bullet and buy a newer 4 stroke. I know I would like the gas mileage and sound, just kinda worried about how long it takes to plane. The weights seem to come down somewhat but still probably 40 more then an older 2 stroke.

If your boat can handle a 3cyl yamaha, im sure it can handle the weight of a 4 stroke.
My buddy had a 1990 30hp.. that thing was a tank!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

New motors are heavy. My old Johnson 35 pull start short shaft weighs in at about 115. The new Yamaha 25 is light as all get out but that hasn't found its way to the 30's yet.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

If you are looking to save weight go with the new Yamaha F25. It's a two cylinder but comparable in performance to the older two stroke Yamaha 25 two cylinder. I have recently changed over to a Tohatsu 30 hp three cylinder and really like the performance. It is a little heavier than the new Yamaha but much smother and faster as well. No problem getting on plane with either one of them on my 1648 War Eagle. I understand that Tohatsu builds the engine for the Mercury 25/30 as well, so the performance should be close on those two engines.

blackshear said:
If you are looking to save weight go with the new Yamaha F25. It's a two cylinder but comparable in performance to the older two stroke Yamaha 25 two cylinder. I have recently changed over to a Tohatsu 30 hp three cylinder and really like the performance. It is a little heavier than the new Yamaha but much smother and faster as well. No problem getting on plane with either one of them on my 1648 War Eagle. I understand that Tohatsu builds the engine for the Mercury 25/30 as well, so the performance should be close on those two engines.

Is the 30 on the same hull the F25 was? I'm Curious as to how the performance compares.
I'm very happy with my F25C, was considering a 30 when I purchased it, but the weight difference was fairly substantial.
I've always wondered what kind of of performance gain the extra 5hp would have been.

The F25C was on the same hull and it's top speed was around 27.5. So for with the MFS30 the top speed is around 31.5 but I believe there is more left in the 30 by raising the motor height and maybe going up a pitch with the prop. I added a kick up plate when I changed over to the MFS30 which offset the motor 5" and the F25C was mounted directly to the transom. Both of them performed well on the hole shot but the 30 is obviously quicker. I have a tall transom so my boat was able to handle the extra weight. One thing that really gives the Tohatsu the edge to me is the power trim which allows me to get better performance and a smother ride. Also with 3 cylinders the idle is very smooth. Both are good engines and have their advantages. I needed more speed for the lake I fish so the extra 5 hp plus power tilt and trim feature were very attractive. Both of my motors are tiller handle and getting power trim on the F25C with tiller is not an easy solution. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like the 30 is a better fit for your ride.
The 25 is perfect on my 1970's 14ft v-hull, I can run just over 30.
I'm not sure I'd actually want to run any faster in this little boat.

only a couple mph difference if that. It will plane fine. the biggest problem is weight, at least with the Yamaha. It is simply a 40hp but with 10 less hp, same 215lbs too which is about what, 70 lbs heavier than your current 25? I love the 30 and 40 I just can't get past the 215lbs. I'd own one if it were 50lb lighter.

Latest posts