No 12v system want Small Fish/Depth Finder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosticks

Reaction score
I'd rather not deal with a large battery or on board charging system, but I'd like to power a small fish/depth finder. I don't have lights or trolling motor. I've seen some portable ones but wonder if they would be worth it. Thought about the smallest 12v battery I could find, like a garden tractor or motorcycle. I just don't want the weight of a group 24 or 27 marine but would want 4 - 6 hrs of run time for the finder. Any ideas.

I have been surfing today's slow slow Internet since the above posting. I found on Amazon a HUMMINGBIRD 12v gel pack with charger for $35 and some good reviews to go with it. I think that or something similar is my answer.

nosticks said:
I have been surfing today's slow slow Internet since the above posting. I found on Amazon a HUMMINGBIRD 12v gel pack with charger for $35 and some good reviews to go with it. I think that or something similar is my answer.

Check & see what shipping is. I order these batteries for security systems for my business, they are considered hazardous material and shipping will kill ya sometimes 2-3 times more then battery costs. If you have a Batteries Plus store or something like that you can get them and save some money.

Cabelas has them on sale right now

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=IK-018049

I have a Fishing Buddy. Completely portable, clamps to my tin, and runs on AA batteries. It's not high tech, but, it shows depth, temperature, contour and fish. I normally replace the batteries only once a year.

Ken

humminbird makes an aa battery operated portable ff. i think its a 120. i have the old 110 model.the batteries last for weeks.it detaches from the holder so you can hardwire it if you want.

I once powered one with a model airplane battery. LIPO...11 + volts. Of course, I had a r/c battery charger for it. Worked fine for a few hours. Don't know if it would work for a full day.

A newer style of battery is an A123. They last a long time and can be re-charged quickly. A number of newer electric tools use them.

Check around. You may have a 11-13 volt battery in your shop and just haven't thought of it as a power source. You may have two 6 volt batteries that could be connected in series, also.

Rich

Wallijig said:
nosticks said:

Check & see what shipping is. I order these batteries for security systems for my business, they are considered hazardous material and shipping will kill ya sometimes 2-3 times more then battery costs. If you have a Batteries Plus store or something like that you can get them and save some money.

Yep, while I'm not a fan of the "Werker" batteries, you can find what you need easily enough. Part should be W12A7 for the 7.5A batt.
I actually run mine off of a 14A batt, about twice the size and weight of the 7.5A but I've run it all season and only charged it once. We get the old ones free from work (part of maintenance to rotate batts regardless of usage).

Just got some 35A batts too - might upgrade again, or save them for a trolling motor setup hopefully this spring.

You can always do what I did on my Kayak...

I went to Ace Hardware and bought one of those 12 volt 7 amh battery's like they often use for back up power to alarm systems and then wired it to my fish finder so I could just plug in. It runs my Cuda 242 all night long on a fishing trip from dusk till dawn. Its about 6 x 3 x 4 inches and weighs just a couple of pounds. It cost me a whopping 19.00 fun dollars. I bought a small charger designed for charging motorcycle batteries for about the same price. This battery has lasted me about 5 years already and shows no signs of letting up. Its really been a great set up for me in my Yak where space and weight are at a premium.

nosticks said:
I'd rather not deal with a large battery or on board charging system, but I'd like to power a small fish/depth finder. I don't have lights or trolling motor. I've seen some portable ones but wonder if they would be worth it. Thought about the smallest 12v battery I could find, like a garden tractor or motorcycle. I just don't want the weight of a group 24 or 27 marine but would want 4 - 6 hrs of run time for the finder. Any ideas.

I've run a small 12V fish finder using only AA rechargeable batteries. I grabbed a Radio Shack 10 AA battery holder (so 1.35V * 10, over 13V when fully charged) and hooked the battery holder directly to the fishfinder. I never ran the batteries down during a whole day of fishing, although I did turn off the power occasionally when the boat was stationary.

Apart from the battery holder (around $2 I think) this cost me $0, since I just borrowed the high-capacity rechargeables that my kids' toys were using (they didn't mind, they were fishing as well)!

Of course, to do this, the batteries should be at least over 2 Ah each and the fish finder shouldn't draw much current. If you can get a spec from the manufacturer about current draw and operating voltage, it helps to figure out how many batteries you'll need. My FF spec was 200mA max current draw and 10V to 16V operating voltage range.

I got a Hummingbird 170 and a Hummingbird 12v Gell Cell Pack with charger for xmas. Going to hook it all up this weekend and see how it works. Think it is my answer.