Noob bilge pump question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you fish in the rain or leave you boat uncovered siting at the dock an auto bilge pump is great. My boat sits on a trailer when not in use. So, I didn't install one when I restored my Lund.

I have found that if I have two people in the boat one to drive and the other to fool with the drain plug. You can get the boat on plane and pull the drain plug, it will suck all the water out of the boat through the drain plug. When the hull is basically dry you then put plug back in.

on more than one occasion i've woken up to a half submerged boat due to rain or wind conditions.it takes forever to pump out with a 300gph pump.also a whole can of gas wasted.my new boat is getting the manual pump swapped with an 800 gph auto that's sitting on my work bench.

I posted here, a few weeks ago, about forgetting to put the plug in.

Since I was paying attention to getting away from the dock, and the wind was pressing me back onto the concrete ramp, it was AMAZING how much water came in.

Had I installed an Automatic pump (which I now have) it would have been pumping the water out until I realized the problem.

Auto pumps are great.