Best Bilge Pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRalston

Reaction score
I'm in the process of selecting a bilge pump for my 1542 Sea Ark. I want some capacity, I was thinking 800-1200 gph because the boat may get some water in it :lol:

I plan on using some 5200 to secure the pump to the hull next to the plug and running the hose to a thru hull fitting on the starboard side.

So what's the best bilge pump set up? Don't think I want an automatic- I'd rather have a high capacity switch unit that can pump it out quick when I need to.

Thanks

Mod thread in process:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28072&hilit=1542+sea+ark&start=0

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 729
I'm sure others will be able to provide great recommendations. I would suggest the bigger the better within the range you mention. And I think having both automatic and manual options can be very handy. BTW, the switch you use will have no influence on the pumping rate so long as it can carry the amperage draw of the pump. It is the pump itself that will determine the rate at which water is removed.

Definitely get an automatic one, but understand that they can be wired to a switch as well. Or atleast mine is that way although I didn't hook a switch up because I can reach down and cut it on.

Mine has 3 ways to turn it on
1. Water gets about 3" deep and it cuts on automatically.
2. I can reach down and touch the sensor on the side of the pump.
3. Flip a switch on the panel.

The pump has one ground and two power wires (one goes to switch and other straight to battery).

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Mount it in a way that it is easy to service. Pumps burn out and the screens can get clogged. Mount it so that you can replace it easily if needed.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. We have had to replace a few pumps in the other boat. One time the auto sensor that got stuck and burned the motor. I just don't see why I need the automatic? What are the real benefits of auto to me if I can switch it on and the boat will be dry in less than 2 minutes?

HRalston said:
I just don't see why I need the automatic? What are the real benefits of auto to me if I can switch it on and the boat will be dry in less than 2 minutes?

They can be nice if you leave your boat in the water unattended. Think about tying off and parking the trailer in a crowded lot....maybe you take a quick leak...get to the dock and your boat is full of water...you forgot the plug. Happens to the best of us.

Saving you from yourself is one potential benefit. ;-) But, you don't need an automatic switch.

Walmart sells attwood. no matter what you get you're going to have to replace it every so often. I plan on running two. One on a switch and one on a float.

I had a 'better' bilge pump in my old Cedar boat.
I had a Windshield wiper motor from the Wrecking yard, connected to a flex cable, which was connected to an old Washing machine drain pump.
When I turned that thing on it looked like a Jet boat with an elevated exhaust pipe.

I used to buy mine at West Marine when they had a store near ..They had an extended warrentry for just a few bucks and around this salt w they never made it .Just take it back and they hand you another..so that may be an option cva34

I have a manual bilge pump on my tin boat. I figured that if I have to use a bilge pump in my tin, I'm calling it a day as we don't go too far away from shore when using it.

I have an Attwood pump from Walmart on my glass boat as we go off shore in the ocean with this boat. Supposedly, this particular boat will float even when totally full of water and with additional weight in it. I do use commercial off shore life vests on this boat also.