94 Klammath 14 questions...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSHARRIES

Reaction score
Hi all,
I picked up a 1994 Klammath 14 foot with 1988 Evinrude 15 HP kicker (2 cycle). I plan to use this boat for fishing in the Sea of Cortez next winter and will be making upgrades stateside this summer. I am new to motor boating (and this forum), and have a few questions:

1. The boat has a 15" transom height, and I have heard/seen that many of the smaller craft on calm ocean waters have a high transom. Is the 15" transom height considered a non-starter for my intended use, or do i just need to extra careful?

2. The capacity rating sticker is faded and illegible. I see from the Klammath website that the current 14 footers are rated for 800 pounds and 20 HP max engine. The hull and beam measurements are my boat are identical to the current model. Can I assume that the ratings for my older boat are identical?

3. The Evinrude motor needs some work (starting with a new water pump). Would I be better served with a new 15 HP 4 cycle motor, or is the 2-cycle sufficient after I learn how to operate/maintain it? (I know that question is subjective, but I am curious what others recommend based on experience).

4. Does the motor power rating for the boat hull apply to the motor's weight or its power? I am learning that 4 cycle engines are heavier than the 2-cyles (?)

5. I plan to add some flooring using hex ply (or similar). Does anyone have experience with this material for floor applications?

6. I plan to add some beach launching wheels. I have seen both transom mount and custom mid-hull options other craft in Baja. The transom mount solution seems more simple, but looks to be less durable for rugged routes. Any advice on this topic would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all the valuable information that this forum provides!
RH

Last edited:
OOPS, I posted this to the incorrect forum. I don't see how to delete from the Jet boat forum. apologies.