Older Lund…WC14?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRDave

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just purchased a used WC14. The previous owner claimed it is a 1989. The serial appears to correspond, ending in ..89 but then has a dash “S” with a circle around it. The nameplate does list it’s a Lund-Larson WC-14-15 which I assume means it’s a 15” transom (which it is).

What baffles me are the dimensions. It has a 62” beam and seems deeper than most WC14’s I’ve seen online. The transom steps up from 15” in the middle to 20”. At its deepest it’s about 24”.

It also has 3 full seats that are the full width of the boat and not a split rear seat like most I see.

Does all this info line up to it being a 1989 WC-14?

I have a 9.8hp 4 stroke that I plan on using (for now) rather than the 8hp 2 stroke that came with it.

Thanks ahead for any feedback. Looking forward to this project, I’ve already gotten some inspiration from this site.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4732.jpeg
    IMG_4732.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 0
I have a Lund S14; 1979 model year. It, too, has side to side benches.

Lund has all of their model year catalogs online for easy download. Those catalogs provide some useful info and pictures of the various models. I suggest you peruse those catalogs; that's how I discovered a lot about my boat specs.

Your 15" transom is the short height transom; same as mine. If you're ever looking for a motor, you're best off with a short shaft model as they're designed to hang on 15" transoms.

Good luck!

I would consider adding a splash well to that short transom for a just in case. Easy to fab or there are after market add ons.
Can you refer me to some aftermarket?

Do some searching or some one more computor savy may jump in here. This 74 yr old gent gets into enough trouble on my computor. " Splash Well add ons" or if you have a sheetmetal shop in your area, they can be easily fabricated. As a retired toolmaker, I have made a few over the years.

Splash well is a good idea but will take up a lot of real estate on that boat. A splash guard in the transom notch is another alternative. The idea is to prevent swamping if a wave or backwash comes over the notched transom. If on plane, don't abruptly stop the boat -- come off slowly. If fishing mill ponds, then not an issue (unless you have a bigger problem). If in chop/waves then might be an issue especially if the boat is transom heavy.

Splash well is a good idea but will take up a lot of real estate on that boat. A splash guard in the transom notch is another alternative. The idea is to prevent swamping if a wave or backwash comes over the notched transom. If on plane, don't abruptly stop the boat -- come off slowly. If fishing mill ponds, then not an issue (unless you have a bigger problem). If in chop/waves then might be an issue especially if the boat is transom heavy.
They used to be made in different sizes, I agree that many are way to big and take up valuable space. In years gone by, the few I made were not that big, just enough to catch that backwash if you made a quick stop or had to reverse in a choppy sea.

Latest posts