Not Pumping a Drop of Water - 68 evinrude 6hp (6802R)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
checked the impeller and it is intact, looks great, not sure what else to check to get my motor to pump water again.

Drop lower unit and take a drill and put it on the the drive shaft. With lower unit fully submerged in a bucket of water use the drill to turn driveshaft. If water shoots out the copper tube, water pump is working then look for blockages in powerhead. If no water comes out water tube, check to make sure impellar is turning with the driveshaft. Report back and we`ll go from there

How about we start with the simple things.
When you put the engine into a "tank" for a test make sure the water level is above the lower mount clamshells on the side of the exhaust housing.
This will make sure that the water pump is completely below the static water level and will be capable of pumping.
Many folks will not have enough water in the tank and those little pumps have a hard time pulling water up to them and priming.

my dads 8hp merc was the same when i was getting it ready after winter. pulled lower and checked impeller and it was all good

ended up getting a solid copper wire and going up through the tube (cant remember name) that the water flows through from the impeller up to the cylinders and out the peehole. was a good bit of dried mud etc in there. a buddys 9.8 had the same issue when he bought it.

Thanks for all the replies! Me and my dad finally had a chance to mess with the motor today. It ran in plenty of water and none was coming out. So I put a hose up to the water intake and the exhaust started steaming.. So I know it was very hot and was not getting any water by itself. I am assuming that the tube is clogged and will get a chance to try and clean it out tomorrow. I do however have a question. The water should be coming out of
The exhaust hole that is about halfway up the motor correct? Because there is
Also the exhaust port that is underwater?

That is correct. Plenty of water should be coming out of the reliefs at the rear of the exhaust housing.
Would make sure you have a drive pin between the impeller and the driveshaft. Impeller will just spin on the shaft if it is not there.
Also make sure the pump engaged the water tube. Seriously doubt there is anything clogging the tube.

Latest posts