Oil issues on my Mariner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
So my motor started beeping at the ignition, and according to the manual its a low oil warning (2 stroke oil injected). Filled it up (it was 3/4 full), and it does it for the first 2 minutes or so, then stops. Then it'll randomly choose when it wants to start beeping again.

Supposedly the sensor is for oil level only, NOT beeping because the motor isn't getting oil (it has no way of knowing). I fished all day and the oil level dropped plenty, so I know the motor is getting oil. No matter what the level in the reservoir, it wants to beep.

I guess the next step is to pre mix, and take off the hose that sprays oil into the carb, and test just how much is getting pumped. As long as it's enough, I'd have to say its safe to use, and it's just a faulty sensor, or warning beeper. As this point, I'd just disconnect the beeper and make sure I don't over heat it, because the same beeper is used for both warning systems.

Any thoughts?

Its a 93 Mariner 40 HP Magnum by the way.

I'd go with the thought to disconnect & pre-mix.No if ands or buts there.
You run those surface gap plugs in your motor?

The difference is that an outboard creates a lot of vibration and the surface gaps are much more efficient. The plug does not have to ark to only one location, but can ark to anywhere on the plug. :) meaning longer life :wink: Here is a link of what one looks like.

https://www.ngk.com/results_appOther.asp?otherMotiveID=217424&mfid=1

Over by me most guys that troll with their motors don't like the surface gap.They have a tendency
to foul quicker.I don't run surface gap in any of my motors,even though on a couple that's whats called for.

dyeguy1212 said:
I just have regular spark plugs... but they have nothing to do with the oil alarm issues
I agree..... sounds more like the sensor is bad.

crazymanme2 said:
Over by me most guys that troll with their motors don't like the surface gap.They have a tendency
to foul quicker.I don't run surface gap in any of my motors,even though on a couple that's whats called for.

I understand, although many people have this same opinion, you need to udjust the number plug, not the style. Meaning going with a colder plug equals lots of fouling at low speeds, so just go with a hotter plug for trolling or low speeds in general. I use surface gap plugs in my troller and just run a hotter plug.

Latest posts