old trucks for towing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw mention to short vs longer wheel bases.

Shorter is much easier to maneuver around ESPECIALLY at ramps where you've got to back a turn, or that sort of thing. My rig is a 03 F250, crew cab, short bed 4x4. There is one ramp that I frequent that is impossible to drive forward all the way down because the truck won't turn tight enough to turn around at the bottom of the hill, so I have to back down that hill, the whole way, which is roughly 1/8 mile, and all down a pretty steep hill. The trailer disappears briefly.

That is another complaint I have with a bigger truck, visibility. With my F250, there are times when I can't see the trailer behind me, and I honestly can't tell it's back there unless I look for it. But it's a small tin boat.

4x4 trucks typically don't turn quite as tight as a 2wd. Keep that in mind as well.

Short bed trucks sell better in certain areas. Here, you RARELY see a long bed anything unless it's a dually. I wanted a long bed, couldn't find one. I had a long bed '74 Chevy and couldn't get anyone to buy it for what I was asking because of the long bed. Several told me that if it were a short bed, they'd have bought it on site. Also worth a consideration.

A crew cab 4x4 short bed is VERY popular here, have high demand, and sell faster and for more money. Also sought after by thieves.

I actually have my eyes out for a 1990's Ford Ranger, 2wd, reg cab, 4 cylinder/stick shift. Would be a daily driver and a boat puller. They are gutless. But the one I had, got almost 30 mpg, stone reliable, mostly comfortable (for a tiny truck), and people always asked me when I stopped if it was for sale. Of course that's probably why I can't find a nice one on the used market.

We don't see many true short beds around here for some reason. Most are ext cab or crew cab. I thought a true short bed would be good for towing a small boat and a back up work vehicle. Might have to go with standard tires though, not liking the noise of all terrains.

My first pickup was a '76 Ford short bed with a straight six. I could stand inside the tire well to work on it.

water bouy said:
My first pickup was a '76 Ford short bed with a straight six. I could stand inside the tire well to work on it.

Mine was an early 70's Dodge slant 6 with a standard transmission (three on the tree). Had a lightweight tin camper shell. Good truck. Tons of room under the hood. I used it to tow a 16' Glaspar I/O. No chips, computers, fancy electronics. Easy to work on, even for someone like me. I wouldn't think of working on a car today.

water bouy said:
Ain't that the truth. Motors today look like they come out of a trash compactor at Apple.

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

PS: Reminds me of when my wife said as far as she was concerned there was just a hunk of metal under the hood. Now days I guess it is a hunk of plastic and metal. Haha.

water bouy said:
Might have to go with standard tires though, not liking the noise of all terrains.

Not necessarily....some of the A/T's are quieter than some highway tires are. Before I wore 'em out, I had BFG KO's on my F250 and LOVED THEM, all but the premature treadwear. At the time, they didn't have a treadwear warranty at all, which I did not know when I bought them. They don't tell you that. They're considered off-road use only, which is why they don't have a treadwear rating/warranty. I wore 'em out in 20,000 miles and that did not set well with me since they were right at $1000 for the set (LT265/75R16 E). I called BFG (part of Michelin) and got the lowdown. Had I gotten "D" rated, they had a warranty-and most that I've talked to get a lot of miles out of a set...neighbor guy's got 70K on his, but they're done. What I liked about them-they were whisper quiet on the highway. Great snow traction (for being a A/T tire-and not a dedicated SNOW tire), real smooth running, balanced well, basically I liked everything about them. BUT...right after I bought the Yokohama's (that replaced the KO's), they came out with the KO2's which I'm told are worlds better than the original KO's were. In fact, they put them on trucks right from the factory on some models. I drove my boss's Jeep (heep) the other day and it had 285 KO2's on it and I couldn't tell any difference between them and all season passenger car tires. Impressive.

So don't discount all of the A/T's just because a select few of them are noisy. Some people like the noise. I don't-and that was a primary concern when I replaced the KO's with the Yokohama's.

i towed a boat and carried a camper on my shortbox f150 4x4 with the 4.7 liter for 10 years.i rarely launched on cement ramps,it was always either sand/gravel or mud.

Latest posts